Glide path angle on a PAR approach?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

TriStar_drvr

As a civilian trained pilot who regularly flies into military airfields, I have a question concerning PAR approaches. Is the standard 3 degree glidepath always used? Do Navy and Marine pilots use a steeper glidepath? My company uses Jeppesen charts, and no glidepath angle is listed on the charts. At one airfield, when the controller is calling "on glidepath" the PAPI will consistently indicate that we are above the glidepath.

Of course perhaps that PAPI is set to a glidepath angle shallower than three degrees, but our charts don't tell us that angle either.

Thanks for any help.

usually 3 deg. Could be anything, if you don't have the chart, ask, they can tell you. Usually NOT aligned with PAPI, VASI. I seem to remember the PAR glidpath is noted on the airfield chart 10-9 maybe on a jepps.

Thanks for the info. I looked up a couple of airfields in question and found what I needed (and confirmed what I suspected).

At NAS Jacksonville you're looking at about a 7-8 degree GS after the final controller gets done with his conversation with the bros in the shop and realizes you're "way" above glideslope. :)

I had a PAR at KNFW a few months back that was so bad that the following comm took place as we went missed:

Me: "Final controller, confirm that you are NOT a rated PAR controller?"
Him: "Say again?"
Me: "Confirm PAR training in progess?"
Him: "Affirm."
Me: "Just checking...keep practicing."

No kidding...he was giving me 50 degree heading corrections at 2 miles from touchdown. I was going to call his supervisor after landing if he was a "rated" controller.

KNFW is usually pretty good, though. A really quality PAR approach with an experienced controller is really a thing of beauty.

Come on, how can you say that the Canadians are better than the Sicilians at Signella?

"You look good, don'ta toucha nothing."

On the glide, begin the slide, you have consent to touch the cement, make sure the Dunlops are dangling

As boring as PARs were to fly, they just as boring to do. I got my 10/month and no more. You have never done a PAR till you control a H2 helo from a 15 mile turn on doing 80Kts into a 20 Kt headwind.

Rota Spain (Lear 35)

About 9 months ago while getting set up for a PAR at Rota, Spain (in good VMC) we were misidentified by the Rota PAR controller. He thought we were a C-130 that was on final, #2 behind us, even though we had a good Mode 3C. We had been vectored from the area of Seville, i.e. on a dogleg to final, not straight-in.

For training I was keeping my head in the cockpit. When I finally looked up we were north of RWY 27 by about a mile on the upwind, i.e. 1 mile north of the centerline. My partner just thought I was a little "rusty."

We had a few laughs with the Herky crew in ops. Sure glad it was VMC.

Latest resources

Back