Glass Cockpits All Around!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Gorilla said:
What's Mr. Efis supposed to do when the magic goes away? Cry into the microphone?

This isn't too far from the truth. On the G1000, the only backup's are the AS, Alt, and the AI. Radio's are on the PFD and MFD. Only a 30min batt backup to the system also.

airforceusaf said:
ok DUDE, i think that that was a decent post. how do you know my understanding of flight? Who are you to tell me i dont know squat. That is a prety ignorant statement to make, dont ya think?

I have to believe I hit the nail on the head. You're young and eager. Don't worry, you'll part ways with your (or mommy and daddy's) money very soon.

troy said:
This isn't too far from the truth. On the G1000, the only backup's are the AS, Alt, and the AI. Radio's are on the PFD and MFD. Only a 30min batt backup to the system also.

Yup, and just as a side note I lost my PFD the other day in a DA40 w/G1000. Just switched over to the MFD reversionary and all was good. But if the whole system goes it's gonna suck.

airforceusaf said:
ATTENTION TO ANYONE THINKING ABOUT ATTENDING EMBRY RIDDLE!

Embry Riddle is introducing glass cockpits into their fleet this summer. It is an exciting time to be attending ERAU, and i cant wait to go there in june! Boeing supplies the entire fleet at ERAU. About every 3-4 years they exchange there old fleet with a new one! There planes are top of the line!

UND is way ahead of that...we got glass cockpits three years ago and we are introducing cirrus to our fleet. We are also changing out our entire fleet within the next 4 years, in addition we are getting mode S transponders to ensure greater safety in the busy skies above Grand Forks.

Woo hoo, more incompetent instrument pilots.

Atleast they won't run into each other.

Oh and what are you going to do with Cirrui? Get to the practice area at 160kts? I can't wait for the first frat boy to pull the 'chute just for fun.

What happend to learning in good old carburated 152s?

You do know what a carburator is right?

Last edited:
paulsalem said:
Woo hoo, more incompetent instrument pilots.

Atleast they won't run into each other.

Oh and what are you going to do with Cirrui? Get to the practice area at 160kts? I can't wait for the first frat boy to pull the 'chute just for fun.

What happend to learning in good old carburated 152s?

You do know what a carburator is right?

I do know what a carburator is, even with all the fancy stuff...i still know how to be a pilot the old fashioned way...when your learning, the first thing they do if fail all that fancy stuff. All that fancy stuff is nice for when you get higher up in the classes, but when your learning, they dont let you use any of that crap. As far as the cirrus, no "frat" boy is going to pull it because we have competent instructors who wont allow that. Cirrus gets a bad rap, but its really incompetent pilots who pull those chutes because they dont understand the chute. As far as more bad instrument pilots? Have you seen UNDs TCO (its a trade secret so chances are you havent)? Our instrument pilots are MORE than qualified, i take your remark as personally offensive coming from an ignorant person who only has no larger iq than to repear what others repeat without any investigation into it him/herself. Get a clue and research before you spout of your mouth perpetuating stereotypes.

ajamato86 said:
u have 13 hrs so u dont know squat just like he said..i have 150 and i even dont know squat. IMO the glass panels will teach you to have a terrible scan in instrument conditions..stick to the "old school" 6 pack steam guages, and stear away from erau, cause with the amount of money u spend there u can get 2 degrees from a public school.

He (Turkey) has 2.75 hours. I think its safe to say you both know more than him.

Well I've instructed in the full avidyne before, and if you fail "all the fancy stuff" that means your left with Attitude indicator, altimeter and airspeed. Well how are you going to fly IFR with just that? You can't really, got to have some of the "fancy stuff" to navigate.

The problem is the glass spoils you. If you have a giant moving map you’ won’t have much situational awareness if you’re flying with just a six pack and a nav com. The fact your mag course and wind velocity is displayed on the PFD at all times means you don’t need to learn how to determine wind correction. Just pull the Ground Track line underneath the cdi and your set.

Trust me I’ve seen these first hand, I was training instrument students in glass, and using a normal six pack Frasca 142, students would have to relearn everything in the sim. Thank goodness we had that Frasca, otherwise they would have been totally SOL.

Hell this one happened to me: I learned on an aircraft with an HSI, first time I shot a LOC in actual with just a standard VOR receiver I almost pegged the LOC, and I was a CFII. It happens to everyone try putting a 30,000 hour 747 captain in a 172 with no preperation and tell him to enter a non published intersecion hold or shoot a partial panel ndb approach. It's not going to be pretty. Nothing personal its just the principal of Disuse.

No I haven't seen UND's TCO, but I'd image that it would probably fulfill the requirements of the instrument PTS so it can't be all that earth shattering.

Look I went to OhioU and we got all avidyne warriors, and yes you get to learn on an EFIS but about all that it’s good for is marketing to new students. And unfortunately students=ca$h to universities.

Here is the problem; these universities OU included are training people to go fly on a pretty RJ. Well most people’s first jobs out of college are going to be instructing at an FBO somewhere. And they’ll be lucky to have decent mx, forget about all glass, or instructing in a cirrus. Do you think cargo companies are going to switch to all glass? I left OU with 700 hours which is a lot now days and unless I wanted to make $15/hr at Great Lakes I really had no choice but to instruct. All of us below 30 crowd grew up with computers, so jumping to an EFIS, GPS, or an FMS isn’t going to be a challenge. First you learn the fundamentals just like any other skill or sport.

Look I know I’m low time, but I have had the unique opportunity to teach instrument students in both convention and all glass cockpits.

Oh, and stereotypes come about for a reason.

Last edited:
paulsalem said:
Well I've instructed in the full avidyne before, and if you fail "all the fancy stuff" that means your left with Attitude indicator, altimeter and airspeed. Well how are you going to fly IFR with just that? You can't really, got to have some of the "fancy stuff" to navigate.

The problem is the glass spoils you. If you have a giant moving map you’ won’t have much situational awareness if you’re flying with just a six pack and a nav com. The fact your mag course and wind velocity is displayed on the PFD at all times means you don’t need to learn how to determine wind correction. Just pull the Ground Track line underneath the cdi and your set.

Trust me I’ve seen these first hand, I was training instrument students in glass, and using a normal six pack Frasca 142, students would have to relearn everything in the sim. Thank goodness we had that Frasca, otherwise they would have been totally SOL.

Hell this one happened to me: I learned on an aircraft with an HSI, first time I shot a LOC in actual with just a standard VOR receiver I almost pegged the LOC, and I was a CFII. It happens to everyone try putting a 30,000 hour 747 captain in a 172 with no preperation and tell him to enter a non published intersecion hold or shoot a partial panel ndb approach. It's not going to be pretty. Nothing personal its just the principal of Disuse.

No I haven't seen UND's TCO, but I'd image that it would probably fulfill the requirements of the instrument PTS so it can't be all that earth shattering.

Look I went to OhioU and we got all avidyne warriors, and yes you get to learn on an EFIS but about all that it’s good for is marketing to new students. And unfortunately students=ca$h to universities.

Here is the problem; these universities OU included are training people to go fly on a pretty RJ. Well most people’s first jobs out of college are going to be instructing at an FBO somewhere. And they’ll be lucky to have decent mx, forget about all glass, or instructing in a cirrus. Do you think cargo companies are going to switch to all glass? I left OU with 700 hours which is a lot now days and unless I wanted to make $15/hr at Great Lakes I really had no choice but to instruct. All of us below 30 crowd grew up with computers, so jumping to an EFIS, GPS, or an FMS isn’t going to be a challenge. First you learn the fundamentals just like any other skill or sport.

Look I know I’m low time, but I have had the unique opportunity to teach instrument students in both convention and all glass cockpits.

Oh, and stereotypes come about for a reason.

I missunderstanding we may be having here is that not all of UND aircraft are glass cockpit (in fact we only have about 10 glass cockpit) the rest are six pack...but even the rest of them have garmin gps nav and com systems. I understand what you are saying, but anyone of the instrument pilots at UND would have absolutely no problem shooting an approach without all the fancy glass cockpits. in fact most people in instrument courses dont even get to see a glass cockpits...its more for CFII for them to learn how to instruct students on glass systems. Even when the whole fleet transfers over to glass cockpit i assure that we will still have aircraft with only six packs for instrument learning. Another thing you need to consider here is that six packs arnt going to be around any more in 20 years. VORs are going to be a thing of the past...glass cockpits are going to be the norm, we are in that transistion phase, its good to know how to use that stuff now because when you get older, its not as easy to learn. I know this, ever tried to teach a 90 year old man how the double click works on computers? I know this is an extreme example, but never the less, the concept stands.

J.C.Airborne said:
Another thing you need to consider here is that six packs arnt going to be around any more in 20 years. VORs are going to be a thing of the past...glass cockpits are going to be the norm, we are in that transistion phase, its good to know how to use that stuff now because when you get older, its not as easy to learn.

Hell, we're just getting around to eliminating some NDB's.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back