Glass Cockpits All Around!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
gkrangers said:
Just to be fair...heres an article, from 1997, but the same program could still exist.

http://www.boeing.com/news/releases/1997/news_release_971209b.html

Boeing provides the financing for the purchases it seems.
"SEATTLE, Dec. 09, 1997 -- In an effort to promote growth of the general aviation industry, Boeing Capital Corporation has announced it will provide the lease financing package for Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University's acquisition of Cessna 172 Skyhawk aircraft. The financial partnership will include 61 of the single-engine trainer aircraft over a three-year period." from the site given in statement above...

i told you. im not lying. i may not have been as clear as i should have but this is true.isnt that cool. im sory im just psyched abt it lol. just thought you guys would find that interesting.:beer:

and yes it does still exist.

Last edited:
Hmm. If you don't recomend going to ERAU, where do you think I should go (someone who wants to obtain up to an ATP for commercial purpose). I'm getting my IR and commercial written done before I go to college, the other place I was think of was Spartan. Can I just turn off the GPS?

WGP guy said:
Hmm. If you don't recomend going to ERAU, where do you think I should go (someone who wants to obtain up to an ATP for commercial purpose). I'm getting my IR and commercial written done before I go to college, the other place I was think of was Spartan. Can I just turn off the GPS?
hay im all for ERAU im goin there in june . its been a dream since i was thirteen. nice place. ive come to find that many ppl dislike the university tho. I think it is because it is overpriced or somethin.

It is worth it if you are going to major in engineering, safety, human factors, or meteorology, or even ATC (excellent program) IMO...If you don't have an interest in those, you would be better off at another school where you can major in someting that interests you, besides aviation.

WGP guy said:
Can I just turn off the GPS?

Problem with the latest glass isn't so much the gps as it is the "Glass Stare"

With the new stuff you do not have an instrument scan in the traditional sense. Even pilots that learned on round gauges and then transitioned to glass later, develop a sort of "Glass cripple" problem when they go back to a round gauge airplane. I have seen it many times and experienced it myself. Coming back to a traditional airplane after glass can be challenging even if you have thousands of hours on round gauges, I suspect it could be deadly if you never flew IFR on round gauges ever.

Eventually a professional pilot wil be able to go his/her entire career without ever seeing a round gauge, but that day is not here yet. I would find a school that flew both types, or just round gauges.

May just be getting old or something, but I wouldn't trust any training that was 100% glass, way too many skills could get left out, and that could come back to haunt you in job hunting. I have been back and forth 4 times now between glass and round gauge in my career. In fact most of the really good jobs out there now fly fairly old equipment mixed in with the new. (Fedex, UPS, all the Majors) Pretty much the only 100% glass companies out there in the airline world are the RJ airlines, which can hardly be considered one of the best career jobs right now.

Of course, just my opinion.

I agree with KS. I have never flown glass, just a 6 pack. No better way to learn instruments. But, I would like to try glass, just has the cool factor and having that giant moving map and stuff is pretty sweet. But, always need to maintain proficiency on the steam guages....

problem with learning on all glass at riddle, or anywhere else is you'll probably end up instructing on a six pack with an ADF in it. So how are you going to teach NDB holding and approaches if you've never turned one?

(ndb's are leaiving us I know, just like VORs were supposed to be gone long ago, just like global warming is going to kill us, blah blah balh /rant)

And I dobut companies like Airnet, Package Express, Flight express etc are switching to EFIS anytime soon.

But I only have 1,000 hours so what do I know?

gkrangers said:
It is worth it if you are going to major in engineering, safety, human factors, or meteorology, or even ATC (excellent program) IMO...If you don't have an interest in those, you would be better off at another school where you can major in someting that interests you, besides aviation.
Either aeronautical science or aerospace engineering.

paulsalem said:
YOU FrickING TOOL SHUT THE Frick UP.

What a waste of perfetly good hard drive space.

I got a chuckle out of it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back