• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Glass Cockpits All Around!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
AS (Aero Sci) isn't really a useful degree in the job world, in case a flying career doens't work out. Its cool, you'll learn a ton about flying, but it isn't really practical. That is why some discourage it. AE, engineering is a very very good program, and very tough. Its also atleast 5 years I think...and for a pilot, you'd really just be wasting all that hard work if you never ended up using it. Safety is pretty cool, some good opportunities with that. Meterology you need to have a passion for, because the math and physics is unbareably difficult.

paulsalem said:
Well so much for well trained instrument pilots.

I taught at Ohio University, we switched to all glass and students ended up having very poor situational awareness without the giant moving map.

My advice, fly a normal six pack airplane.

Just my opinion.

I completely agree. My first flying job after flight instructing was flying a Sabreliner, which if you didn't have an excellent scan and situational awareness you were screwed. I then moved into a CRJ which was a very easy transition, then back to a six pack which was hard to do after the glass. When I flew the CRJ, I would fly with guys with the FMS deferred, and without it, they were lost. Got all screwed up on arrivals, and blew through crossing restrictions. If you don't have a strong scan coming out of your instrument training, you will have a hard time the first time you take a checkride in a real airplane with real gauges. Just my opinion also.

Turkey Shoot said:
You don't know squat yet dude.
ok DUDE, i think that that was a decent post. how do you know my understanding of flight? Who are you to tell me i dont know squat. That is a prety ignorant statement to make, dont ya think?

u have 13 hrs so u dont know squat just like he said..i have 150 and i even dont know squat. IMO the glass panels will teach you to have a terrible scan in instrument conditions..stick to the "old school" 6 pack steam guages, and stear away from erau, cause with the amount of money u spend there u can get 2 degrees from a public school.

airforceusaf said:
ok DUDE, i think that that was a decent post. how do you know my understanding of flight? Who are you to tell me i don't know squat. That is a prety ignorant statement to make, dont ya think?

Prety ignorant indeed!

Try this on for size, junior: I know you don't know squat about aviation yet. What's ignorant is a complete layman coming on here and spouting off about stuff, then getting offended when people who actually put food on the table with stick and rudder dare question his neophyte wisdom.

Your eagerness is great, but learn some humility and try using this board as a tool for finding out about a subject you have no clue about whatsoever.

"A man who's had the tiger by the tail knows a thing or two more than one who hasn't." Will Rogers

PS- If you learn instruments on glass, your ability to fly steam gauges will be non-existent, whereas learning the old-fashioned way will allow you to transition to glass easily and quickly.

Good luck at ERAU, I wish you success.

Last edited:
A moving map is TOO easy, TOO good. I can very easily see someone IFR rated and having never flown steam, being utterly lost and clueless flying a round CDI, and not knowing what the heck to do so as to execute a safe and valid instrument procedure. EFIS should be a single "intro" flight at some point in the instruction, as in "Look what awaits you when you have mastered the essentials. Ain't this the schiznit?"

What's Mr. Efis supposed to do when the magic goes away? Cry into the microphone?

Latest resources

Back