• Start date
  • Watchers 15

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm taking the same pay cut as you...and you're full of crap! I'm on pace to gross $73,000 this year. Not a chance I'll make that as an FO. Will I have more schedule control? Sure....But it's still a roughly $15,000 pay cut. But since you're gonna make so much, maybe you can send a little my way for the mortgage? You know, since you got extra.

By the way. A $500 cash pay differential per month (on a bad month for the FO) does not equal $15,000 per year. Talk to your senior FOs once in a while. They will school you on the deal...

The freedom I will gain in scheduling will allow me to make up a measley $15,000 a year, through other work and financial pursuits. You do not strike me as being that creative or energetic, and I am not paying your mortgage. Who do you think I am, Barack Yo mama?

So your plan is to use all the new found scheduling flexibility you have to work more....and maybe make up the difference? I though the point of scheduling flexibility was to work less..but maybe I'm wrong. But it's a good thing you'll be able to get all those important days off now....oh wait, you're working at your second job on those days though.....Sorry.

You're still kidding yourself with the $500/month. It wasn't long ago we were all senior FO's, even under the new contract, and I didn't make near what I do now...and that was during the time of 90+ hour lines to bid on. Not the below guarantee crap we see today.

No hard feelings, but good luck. I wish us all the best.

So your plan is to use all the new found scheduling flexibility you have to work more....and maybe make up the difference? I though the point of scheduling flexibility was to work less..but maybe I'm wrong. But it's a good thing you'll be able to get all those important days off now....oh wait, you're working at your second job on those days though.....Sorry.

You're still kidding yourself with the $500/month. It wasn't long ago we were all senior FO's, even under the new contract, and I didn't make near what I do now...and that was during the time of 90+ hour lines to bid on. Not the below guarantee crap we see today.

No hard feelings, but good luck. I wish us all the best.
Second job or other work if I need it, at my discretion, while sleeping in my own bed. Good luck to you too. We will make it through all this mess...

Sorry, I'm on my way to the right seat also and couldn't disagree with you more. Let's see, now I have to work extra trips to make the same money...yeah, that's something to be happy about. It has nothing to do with the PIC, it has to do with money-pure and simple.

Sorry, I'm on my way to the right seat also and couldn't disagree with you more. Let's see, now I have to work extra trips to make the same money...yeah, that's something to be happy about. It has nothing to do with the PIC, it has to do with money-pure and simple.
You may not have to fly more block time or work extra days. It depends on how you navigate it. Through a comprehensive and strategic scheduling strategy, you can make this work to your advantage, and you will have complete scheduling power (provided you are top 50 on the 200 or top 30 on the 700/900) Yes, working outside of flying is an option, but not necessary in all cases. The main advantage is scheduling power. Being on reserve with 11 days off does not permit any freedom to other commitments or pursuits (financial or personal). Being on reserve as a captain is tolerable if there is light at the end of the tunnel ;we don't even have a flashlight...

There wont be any extra trips. If your lucky you might find something on occasion that someone wants to get rid of in open time. You will be making guarantee for sometime. Sucks. Glad I have two jobs.

Glad I will now have the time and flexibility to do with MY time what I want. Sitting around ATL for the next 18 months waiting for scheduling to call is not exactly productive time either. Take the pay cut any day. When I upgraded, I figured 3-4 months of reserve, tops. Oh how wrong I was.

There wont be any extra trips. If your lucky you might find something on occasion that someone wants to get rid of in open time. You will be making guarantee for sometime. Sucks. Glad I have two jobs.
For the past two years I have been in regular contact with more than one senior first officer who consistently credits over 90 hours a month, while maintaining at least 13 days off. These guys could have upgraded two years ago, but they passed on it for all the reasons previously detailed in this thread. The opportunities are abundant...

Ya you are gonna have a much better scheule as a senior FO vs junior capt on reserve, but don't kid yourself into thinking you can make up the difference by picking up trips/bidding high block trips just because your senior again. Like mentioned before your easily giving up ~$12-15k a year. Even if you bust your a$$ you still cant make up the difference.

I'll make it up one way or another. I'm just glad to be free. I just pulled up my reserve award for august. I can't wait until september.

Latest resources

Back