• Start date
  • Watchers 15

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Captains on reserve rarely get more than 75 hrs, even if you select "call me first". As a senior FO, I can get 90 to 100 hrs credit per month through various measures. It's a little more work with significantly more control. Sometimes it's not even more work, because senior FOs can pick up high credit trips with ease. FOs that I flew with over the past two years often flew similar "Block Time" as me, but ended up with way more credit, 15 to 25 hrs more...

If we're talking about pure income level;

Where I'm at (with displaced CA's), a 5th year CA on RSV makes $65.46 X 75 X 12 = $58,914

A 5th year FO makes $37.91. Even at 100 credit hours a month = $45492

Throw in a long call reserve system and the added QOL of spending 2-3 more days a month at home if you commute, more if you live in base, which would you rather do?

Ya you are gonna have a much better scheule as a senior FO vs junior capt on reserve, but don't kid yourself into thinking you can make up the difference by picking up trips/bidding high block trips just because your senior again. Like mentioned before your easily giving up ~$12-15k a year. Even if you bust your a$$ you still cant make up the difference.

Agreed. I commute and am able to hold two end commutable lines. The last thing I want to do is spend any more time away from home.

More money is always better, but there comes a point. Say a 10 hr two day was available but is only one end commutable. Fork out the hotel, 10 hrs X your hourly rate, then subtract taxes, union dues, 401K, insurance, and whatever else comes out of your check. Is 2 1/2 days of your life worth a little over $200? You could go mow some laws on your days off and do just as well.

Last edited:
I'm taking the same pay cut as you...and you're full of crap! I'm on pace to gross $73,000 this year. Not a chance I'll make that as an FO. Will I have more schedule control? Sure....But it's still a roughly $15,000 pay cut. But since you're gonna make so much, maybe you can send a little my way for the mortgage? You know, since you got extra.

You bought a house you can't afford.. Awesome.

My July 15th direct deposit just hit my acct. It was $2053 (resv capt, with 75 hrs. credit) Subtract $200 for crash pad = $1853, which equals an FOs mid month check that credits 90 hrs (not necessarily flown, but credit value). My first of the month check as rsv capt is usually $1610. As an FO it will be approx. $1000. Now we are talking $600 difference per month. Aggravation and occasional torment of being on reserve = $601. Now I am ahead.

Last edited:
Sunlit, I hope that creative scheduling you're talking about isn't all about picking up open time or putting yourself on the company's 'please fly me' list. There are enough buddy f's here picking up EF while we downgrade and furlough.

I relished in delight the other day when screwsked paged me a record # of times and left pathetic pleas on my voicemail while I enjoyed my breakfast in the food court and kept to my regularly-scheduled trip with previous plans for the RON intact! I have enjoyed the trappings of a senior FO line, holding the days off and most of the schedule I desire. I do miss the job in the left seat, but not the dismal schedule I was doomed to undergo for some time.

Hopefully, VFs or COLAs will allow those of us with other opportunities to 'opt out' of DL's BS this fall.

You bought a house you can't afford.. Awesome.

I can afford my house just fine on FO pay...it just happens to be my largest bill so I had to put something down. I could have said beer money, or electric bill, or whatever. Take your pick.....mortgage just sounded the best.

I'm not one of those guys that went out and bought the ridiculous "captain's house" on an option ARM/ interest only loan. Remarkably, I was a responsible person and bought something I could afford....with an interest rate fixed at 4.8%. Crazy I know.....but the pay cut still sucks. I also don't have any of the commuting/crashpad costs you guys are dealing with so I don't consider them an extra expense of being a captain. I also held long-call reserve with weekends off, so our situations aren't exactly the same.

Now we are talking $600 difference per month. Aggravation and occasional torment of being on reserve = $601. Now I am ahead.

Quote of the day!:) I think it may be a bit more than $601 though, so you're even further ahead. Plenty of money to be made by people with time and a bit of ingenuity and drive. Opportunities abound..... but they certainly aren't in the airline industry.

Last edited:
Y'all sound like a bunch of whiney, arrgoant jerks. Granted, it's not pleasant to go from CA to FO pay. All things considered, it's quite a bit more pleasant than going from FO to NO pay.

Have a little respect, would ya'?

There wont be any extra trips. If your lucky you might find something on occasion that someone wants to get rid of in open time. You will be making guarantee for sometime. Sucks. Glad I have two jobs.

For what it's worth, CT in one of the town hall meetings claimed that they will actually ramp up average line values for the fall. When pressed for a number, he said to expect an average value of about 82 hours.

Latest resources

Back