• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

GLA training not PRIA reportable?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Alright everybody I got a good ole' fashion FlightInfo debate for ya. I've heard that since a person is not payed during training at Great Lakes and they are not technically an employee until passing the checkride...that a failure during the training program or a complete washout is not reportable to the PRIA system. So, if someone were to wash out of training they would never have to technically report that they had been previously part of the GLA training program and won't have to explain much more than a gap in their employment history during future interviews.

Truth?

Discuss......

1) First of all, I hate when people say "discuss" on these forums. Well duh, what else will we be doing unless we all choose to ignore you.

2) Here's what the FAA has to say about it.

From the FAA;

Hired and Employed. For all practical purposes under PRIA, the terms “hired” and “employed” both refer to that point in time when a pilot has been offered, and has accepted, a position as a pilot with an operator. Under the drug and alcohol testing regulations, “hire” is defined as “retaining an individual for a safety-sensitive function as a paid employee, as a volunteer, or through barter or other form of compensation” (see part 121, appendix I, and appendix J).

For the purpose of furnishing records, any U.S. air carrier operating under 14 CFR part 121 or 135, any U.S. air operator operating under 14 CFR part 125, other person or trustee in bankruptcy for an operator that employed the individual as the pilot of a civil or public aircraft at any time during the 5-year period before the date of the individual’s employment application.

Your previous employer(s) will be asked to provide records pertaining to you (other than those related to flight time, duty time, or rest time). They will provide records on your performance as a pilot concerning your training, qualifications, proficiency, and professional competence, including any comments or evaluations by check airmen; any
disciplinary actions that were not overturned; and any release from employment or resignation, termination, or disqualification from employment.

Last edited:
Sounds like wishful thinking. Actually given their ridiculously high failure rate, I would consider taking a job at GL to be evidence of poor judgement.

Do you have some stats (real stats, not just a buddy told me, or because I couldn't make it through training, etc) on the failure rate at GLA? Just wondering what the basis is that you would consider someone having poor judgement by taking a job with them?

Sounds like wishful thinking. Actually given their ridiculously high failure rate, I would consider taking a job at GL to be evidence of poor judgement.

As far as I know all 121 training is reportable...never heard even a rumor otherwise. Is GL accountable to the FAA for the quality and record keeping of that training per 121? Yes....so of course it's reportable.

What did you wash out of GL training ? Thats an awfully bold statement..... How is it poor judgement taking a job that is going to make you 10 times the pilot you were when you started?

There are still airlines that don't pay during training? I would expect it from Gulfstream... but XJT??

That is an embarrassment.

1) First of all, I hate when people say "discuss" on these forums. Well duh, what else will we be doing unless we all choose to ignore you.

2) Here's what the FAA has to say about it.

From the FAA;

Hired and Employed. For all practical purposes under PRIA, the terms “hired” and “employed” both refer to that point in time when a pilot has been offered, and has accepted, a position as a pilot with an operator. Under the drug and alcohol testing regulations, “hire” is defined as “retaining an individual for a safety-sensitive function as a paid employee, as a volunteer, or through barter or other form of compensation” (see part 121, appendix I, and appendix J).

For the purpose of furnishing records, any U.S. air carrier operating under 14 CFR part 121 or 135, any U.S. air operator operating under 14 CFR part 125, other person or trustee in bankruptcy for an operator that employed the individual as the pilot of a civil or public aircraft at any time during the 5-year period before the date of the individual’s employment application.

Your previous employer(s) will be asked to provide records pertaining to you (other than those related to flight time, duty time, or rest time). They will provide records on your performance as a pilot concerning your training, qualifications, proficiency, and professional competence, including any comments or evaluations by check airmen; any
disciplinary actions that were not overturned; and any release from employment or resignation, termination, or disqualification from employment.

Your information on the PRIA is essentially correct. My experience with the PRIA is to not to make comments that will come back and bite you in the butt if your are a evaluator or business. If I am sent a PRIA, I expect it to cover the period from the date of that application and go back 5 years. I should not see a record from an air carrier, 121 or 135 that you worked at 7 or 10 years ago from that date. Despite what the law says, you can be sued for making opininated comments that no one knows if that is true or you had an ax to ground.

This experience comes from my mesa days, chief pilot experience, and now Fredex management. Good luck.

Latest resources

Back