• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

giving two weeks notice (a sob story)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
From the date of your post, its probably too late, but it would be wise to bring your cellphone or something similar, turn it on as a recorder if your phone can do that, have it in your pocket and record the entire conversation. Then, after you give notice and leave the company, if the boss claims you said something disparaging to a future employer you could prove you did not.
It sounds like these people are liars so you have to cover your back.

Your story is well written and not too uncommon. Thanks for sharing. I worked for a small company with no seniority system as well. At first I thought that hard work would be rewarded. In reality, the Chief Pilot's buddies get moved into the multi-engine equipment and get the better schedules.
You have to quit before you get completely soured on aviation or dead. Working for a company like that is extremely unsafe, because you find yourself thinking about being screwed over instead of doing your job and staying alive. I saw people I know get killed, and almost flew into a charted radio tower I had flown around hundreds of times before in a month I flew 162 hours of 135 (in Alaska its legal). I gave my notice shortly after that.

Sec. 135.267 - Flight time limitations and rest requirements: Unscheduled one- and two-pilot crews.
(a) No certificate holder may assign any flight crewmember, and no flight crewmember may accept an assignment, for flight time as a member of a one- or two-pilot crew if that crewmember's total flight time in all commercial flying will exceed --
(1) 500 hours in any calendar quarter.
(2) 800 hours in any two consecutive calendar quarters.
(3) 1,400 hours in any calendar year.
(b) Except as provided in paragraph (c) of this section, during any 24 consecutive hours the total flight time of the assigned flight when added to any other commercial flying by that flight crewmember may not exceed --
(1) 8 hours for a flight crew consisting of one pilot; or
(2) 10 hours for a flight crew consisting of two pilots qualified under this part for the operation being conducted.
(c) A flight crewmember's flight time may exceed the flight time limits of paragraph (b) of this section if the assigned flight time occurs during a regularly assigned duty period of no more than 14 hours and

I took an interest in flight time limitations too, during the time I was racking up so many hours. Due to the timing of my increased flying, I did not exceed 500 hours within three months, nor did I exceed the 800 hour limitation within 6 months, though it was close. Had my flying continued at that rate for much longer, I certainly would have exceeded this limitation. I understand that these limits would have disqualified me from 135 flying, though they could certainly have continued flogging me in my part 91 role. I did some poking around in the FAA interpretation database. One of the things I didn't mention is that the part 91 airplane isn't on the 135 certificate. It's not even owned by the “Company”. It gets a little screwy, but essentially it's owned by a 'different' company- one airplane, one route, headed by my boss- created specifically for the mission it carries out, as far as I'm aware. Just happens to be the same boss, same airport, etc. Here's the reference I pulled out of the database, I wonder if you might take a look at it. I'm always interested in learning more, so I'd welcome any comments. I'm still not sure whether the compartmentalization of roles under different companies is legal, but I was never able to find anything definitive one way or the other.

In part:
[FONT=Courier New, monospace]AR 135.263(b) is quoted:[/FONT]

[FONT=Courier New, monospace]No certificate holder may assign any flight crewmember to any duty with the certificate holder during any required rest period.[/FONT]

[FONT=Courier New, monospace]None of the activities listed above may be performed by the flight crewmember during a rest period because they are all assigned by the certificate holder and thus in violation of FAR 135.263(b). The FAA has consistently interpreted a "rest period" to be a continuous period of time that is free from all restraint. This includes freedom from work, and freedom from responsibility for work should the occasion arise.[/FONT]

[FONT=Courier New, monospace]"Duty" has been interpreted to mean actual work for an air carrier or present responsibility to work should the occasion arise.[/FONT]

[FONT=Courier New, monospace]Your second question asks if this same flight crewmember may participate in the activities previously listed during a rest period if the work was done for another company, not ABC, and whether the flight crewmember could then accept an assignment with ABC for flight operations under Part 135, at the end of the rest period.[/FONT]

[FONT=Courier New, monospace]The answer is a qualified yes. ABC, as the certificate holder, has no way of forcing the flight crewmember to rest during a rest period. The prohibition against "other commercial flying" during a rest period applies to flying assigned by the certificate holder. The other commercial flying done by the flight crewmember does count against the daily 8 hour limitation if it is done before the Part 135 flying, and also counts against the pilot's quarterly and yearly flight time limitations. For example, 2 hours of "freelance" flight instruction by the pilot during his rest period limits him to only 6 hours of Part 135 flying time during that 24 consecutive hour period. Any other commercial flying done after the Part 135 flying does not count against the daily limitation, but still counts against quarterly and yearly totals.

-enjoying the new job-
-A-
[/FONT]

[FONT=Courier New, monospace].[/FONT]

Latest resources

Back