giving two weeks notice (a sob story)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Av8trix616

I quit. That is, I'm quitting my current job and moving on. Briefly, I've worked for the company almost 3 years, from flight instructor to charter pilot. I've always tried to be a team player, covering my fellow pilot's shifts when I could, working weekends (gamedays), and helping share the burden of holiday days even if the holiday fell on a day that wasn't "mine"...

The last 8-9 months have been like this: Was ready to leave for a new job when I was offered a part 135 position with my home company. Another (internal) pilot was offered a similar position on the same day. We both accepted and went to school at the same time. At that time, I was working at another aspect of the company, doing some heavy part 91 flying. When I accepted, I said that I wanted to be out of that position asap, and was told that although I would likely start slow, say 5 trips in a 2 week pay period, I would get worked up to full time as soon as possible. The other pilot who accepted the charter position said the same thing. I was hired to the company some months before him. As the summer played out, that pilot was removed completely from the runs I was doing, and I was flying anywhere from 100-140+ hours a month, with little to no relief in terms of being able to get a day covered due to illness or personal reasons. I tried to get other folks trained for my position, but I didn't understand why management wouldn't approve a replacement for me. Meanwhile, my classmate was getting charter trips left and right. I tried to be patient, and still held no plans of moving on, just of waiting for my (any day now) time to come.

Over the last eight months, I've accrued just under 40 hours of flying for the 135 side of the company, at least a quarter of that during a week that the other pilot was on vacation. On average, I would get called once per 2-3 weeks.

Finally, I just accepted that I was just going to be a backup to the backup, fly my regular part 91 flights, and well, at least I'll be making some pretty good money doing that. Recently though, a close relative of the boss came in to town, and he's a pilot too. I was told that he'd be joining the ranks of us part 91 flyers. I was thrilled to be able to maybe take an extra day off, or get a shift covered if needed. I planned on keeping most of my flying, but was willing to give up a day or two, so the newcomer would have work. I understood why I wasn't allowed to train my replacement, since the plan for the new guy to come fly had been in the works for a few months, although I didn't know about it untill shortly before he arrived. Suddenly though, the schedule that the part 91 pilots had always worked up amongst ourselves developed "problems". My boss then took over the scheduling of the part 91 flights. I was removed from all but 2 flights per pay period (1 per week). The new guy got my flying. I protested a bit, saying that I need a certain amount of flying to meet the bills, and was told that :

1. It would be unfair to the other 91 pilots if I got called to a part 135 trip and they had to fly suddenly (which is how things have always been handled- there were previous pilots who moved to the part 135 side of things, and I would end up on call for part 91, if they were on call for part 135)

and

2. Surely I would get the flying I needed for rent from the part 135 side of things.

Well, my boss telling me these things is not the guy who schedules the 135 pilots. Speaking to the 135 scheduler, I was told "I just won't need you that much for a while." A fine can of worms. So I've been just about unemployed for 3 weeks. I used some of that time to interview elsewhere. I was offered a position, and I accepted, just two days ago. Today, I had my cell phone off for two hours while enjoying some quality time at home- during that time, I missed two calls from the 135 scheduler. Now, although Wednesday is typically a day off for me, shortly after missing those calls, I got a call from the boss, saying to call him back. Called back, and was told to meet with him as soon as possible to discuss my not answering the phone and "how we are going to work these things in the future". He was definitely upset. We're meeting Friday. I feel that given it was a standard day off for me, I was only out of touch for two hours, and the fact that I rarely get called makes me being out of touch briefly forgivable. :(

Honestly, over the last 8 or so months or so I feel as though I've been pretty well used. I've tried my darnedest to be a team player, but it hasn't worked out, and so I'm on my way out. I feel as though I was offered the 135 job just to keep someone on the 91 flights untill the new guy came, and I could be a backup to the backup on the 135 stuff. My class date for the new job is less than two weeks away. I'd like to tender my resignation on the day that I meet with my boss to discuss my not answering the phone. Am I horrible for doing that? I've never *not* given proper notice at any job, and I've always been told that I'd be missed.

Dear Abby, what do you think?

-A-

After reading your post I think one way to handle this situation would have been, once you were accepted by the new company, go to your current employer and tell them that you will need at least xx hours in charter each month or you will have to start looking elsewhere, if you get an attitude at that point the decision is easy.

You now must make a tough decision to leave without a good notice period and go to class or stick with the what seems to be a dead end job. Why did you wait so long? Hard to know the whole situation by this post but I will say to give a notice asap and report to class, never a good idea to burn bridges but it sounds like your present job is going nowhere for whatever reason or reasons. Good luck whichever way you go.

This employer of yours wouldn't happen to be a greek fellow named George up in Cleveland would it? Reason I ask is that I used to work for this individual and it was the biggest mistake I ever made in my life.

But I digress.

In all seriousness, it sounds to me like you're getting shafted from both ends by your present company. From your narrative, I can see that they like to dangle the carrot in front of your face in order to get your cooperation, but then when you reach for it to take a bite the carrot suddenly vanishes. Any company that'll fly you to death to the tune of 140 hours a month, Part 91 or otherwise, is a company that needs a swift kick in the pants. To not be allowed time off for illness, fatigue, or even just a personal mental health day is unacceptable. And then insult to injury is added when "the new guy" comes in and all of your flying is taken away.

I know that in this industry you never want to burn a bridge or leave on bad terms, but in your case I think you can make an exception. It sounds like they already burned the bridge for you, if it was even there to begin with. It also sounds like this company will give a scathing bad review of your performance to anyone who asks no matter how stellar you are. Believe me, such employers do exist and they do actively attempt to derail your career (prime example being the George in Cleveland).

Here's what I would do in your situation. Go into the office Friday morning as ordered. Sit there patiently, smile and nod, let the blowhard say whatever he's got to say. Then when he opens the discussion for your input, let him have it with both barrels. Stand your ground and show no mercy. Make it abundantly clear to this clown that, on your regular day off, you have absolutely no obligation to answer your phone even if it's the president calling to offer your a cabinet seat. After you've said what's on your mind, inform the swine that you are resigning effective immediately and leave the office without looking back. Whatever you do, don't leave the property without your last paycheck IN HAND, and get it deposited fast before they try anything funny. Then, just sit back and relax and enjoy the couple weeks off you've got until your new job starts.

Last edited:
What Company????

I quit. That is, I'm quitting my current job and moving on. Briefly, I've worked for the company almost 3 years, from flight instructor to charter pilot. I've always tried to be a team player, covering my fellow pilot's shifts when I could, working weekends (gamedays), and helping share the burden of holiday days even if the holiday fell on a day that wasn't "mine"...

The last 8-9 months have been like this: Was ready to leave for a new job when I was offered a part 135 position with my home company. Another (internal) pilot was offered a similar position on the same day. We both accepted and went to school at the same time. At that time, I was working at another aspect of the company, doing some heavy part 91 flying. When I accepted, I said that I wanted to be out of that position asap, and was told that although I would likely start slow, say 5 trips in a 2 week pay period, I would get worked up to full time as soon as possible. The other pilot who accepted the charter position said the same thing. I was hired to the company some months before him. As the summer played out, that pilot was removed completely from the runs I was doing, and I was flying anywhere from 100-140+ hours a month, with little to no relief in terms of being able to get a day covered due to illness or personal reasons. I tried to get other folks trained for my position, but I didn't understand why management wouldn't approve a replacement for me. Meanwhile, my classmate was getting charter trips left and right. I tried to be patient, and still held no plans of moving on, just of waiting for my (any day now) time to come.

Over the last eight months, I've accrued just under 40 hours of flying for the 135 side of the company, at least a quarter of that during a week that the other pilot was on vacation. On average, I would get called once per 2-3 weeks.

Finally, I just accepted that I was just going to be a backup to the backup, fly my regular part 91 flights, and well, at least I'll be making some pretty good money doing that. Recently though, a close relative of the boss came in to town, and he's a pilot too. I was told that he'd be joining the ranks of us part 91 flyers. I was thrilled to be able to maybe take an extra day off, or get a shift covered if needed. I planned on keeping most of my flying, but was willing to give up a day or two, so the newcomer would have work. I understood why I wasn't allowed to train my replacement, since the plan for the new guy to come fly had been in the works for a few months, although I didn't know about it untill shortly before he arrived. Suddenly though, the schedule that the part 91 pilots had always worked up amongst ourselves developed "problems". My boss then took over the scheduling of the part 91 flights. I was removed from all but 2 flights per pay period (1 per week). The new guy got my flying. I protested a bit, saying that I need a certain amount of flying to meet the bills, and was told that :

1. It would be unfair to the other 91 pilots if I got called to a part 135 trip and they had to fly suddenly (which is how things have always been handled- there were previous pilots who moved to the part 135 side of things, and I would end up on call for part 91, if they were on call for part 135)

and

2. Surely I would get the flying I needed for rent from the part 135 side of things.

Well, my boss telling me these things is not the guy who schedules the 135 pilots. Speaking to the 135 scheduler, I was told "I just won't need you that much for a while." A fine can of worms. So I've been just about unemployed for 3 weeks. I used some of that time to interview elsewhere. I was offered a position, and I accepted, just two days ago. Today, I had my cell phone off for two hours while enjoying some quality time at home- during that time, I missed two calls from the 135 scheduler. Now, although Wednesday is typically a day off for me, shortly after missing those calls, I got a call from the boss, saying to call him back. Called back, and was told to meet with him as soon as possible to discuss my not answering the phone and "how we are going to work these things in the future". He was definitely upset. We're meeting Friday. I feel that given it was a standard day off for me, I was only out of touch for two hours, and the fact that I rarely get called makes me being out of touch briefly forgivable. :(

Honestly, over the last 8 or so months or so I feel as though I've been pretty well used. I've tried my darnedest to be a team player, but it hasn't worked out, and so I'm on my way out. I feel as though I was offered the 135 job just to keep someone on the 91 flights untill the new guy came, and I could be a backup to the backup on the 135 stuff. My class date for the new job is less than two weeks away. I'd like to tender my resignation on the day that I meet with my boss to discuss my not answering the phone. Am I horrible for doing that? I've never *not* given proper notice at any job, and I've always been told that I'd be missed.

Dear Abby, what do you think?

-A-

How come you didn't name the company????Nobody wants to work for someone like that!!!

Sounds to me, your a "team player" for a losing team. Go to the meeting and let Joe bag of dougnouts say what he's got to say. Give him your 2 weeks and don't look back. Yes this is an industry that you don't want to burn any bridges.

It's not 2001 anymore! There's a lot of opportunity out there. Start with your new employer and do the best job you can do, hopefully they will recognize your a solid player. Good luck.

I'm not trying to insult your knowledge but, in case you have not considered this, your 135 flight time limitations include flight time accrued in part 91 operations in which you were paid to fly.

Sec. 135.267 - Flight time limitations and rest requirements: Unscheduled one- and two-pilot crews.
(a) No certificate holder may assign any flight crewmember, and no flight crewmember may accept an assignment, for flight time as a member of a one- or two-pilot crew if that crewmember's total flight time in all commercial flying will exceed --
(1) 500 hours in any calendar quarter.
(2) 800 hours in any two consecutive calendar quarters.
(3) 1,400 hours in any calendar year.
(b) Except as provided in paragraph (c) of this section, during any 24 consecutive hours the total flight time of the assigned flight when added to any other commercial flying by that flight crewmember may not exceed --
(1) 8 hours for a flight crew consisting of one pilot; or
(2) 10 hours for a flight crew consisting of two pilots qualified under this part for the operation being conducted.
(c) A flight crewmember's flight time may exceed the flight time limits of paragraph (b) of this section if the assigned flight time occurs during a regularly assigned duty period of no more than 14 hours and --
(1) If this duty period is immediately preceded by and followed by a required rest period of at least 10 consecutive hours of rest;
(2) If flight time is assigned during this period, that total flight time when added to any other commercial flying by the flight crewmember may not exceed --
(i) 8 hours for a flight crew consisting of one pilot; or
(ii) 10 hours for a flight crew consisting of two pilots; and
(3) If the combined duty and rest periods equal 24 hours.
(d) Each assignment under paragraph (b) of this section must provide for at least 10 consecutive hours of rest during the 24-hour period that precedes the planned completion time of the assignment.
(e) When a flight crewmember has exceeded the daily flight time limitations in this section, because of circumstances beyond the control of the certificate holder or flight crewmember (such as adverse weather conditions), that flight crewmember must have a rest period before being assigned or accepting an assignment for flight time of at least --
(1) 11 consecutive hours of rest if the flight time limitation is exceeded by not more than 30 minutes;
(2) 12 consecutive hours of rest if the flight time limitation is exceeded by more than 30 minutes, but not more than 60 minutes; and
(3) 16 consecutive hours of rest if the flight time limitation is exceeded by more than 60 minutes.
(f) The certificate holder must provide each flight crewmember at least 13 rest periods of at least 24 consecutive hours each in each calendar quarter.

If you are leaving anyway, forget the lamblast of the current employer. Just say you regret you cannot take the time to give proper notice but there is an opportunity for you that requires you leave immediately.

I would do what snafu22 says.

Listen to the chief pilot rant on you, then politely at the end of his rant submit your two week notice to him, excuse yourself and leave. In all probability he will terminate you immediately. But at least you offered the two weeks.

You need to get out of there.

Been there, done that, got that T-shirt. Move on.

If you get terminated immediately, request your accrued vacation and sick time in writing. Make sure you 401K contribution for the entire pay period is payed. Call the HR representative to clarify all your separation benefits. Thats they're job so make them do it. Good Luck!

Sounds to me, your a "team player" for a losing team. Go to the meeting and let Joe bag of dougnouts say what he's got to say. Give him your 2 weeks and don't look back. Yes this is an industry that you don't want to burn any bridges.

It's not 2001 anymore! There's a lot of opportunity out there. Start with your new employer and do the best job you can do, hopefully they will recognize your a solid player. Good luck.

Ah, if the company sucks anyway, I would have no problem buring the bridge then. As if another company is going to say "OMG, he violated the two week rule! That b#stard!" Look out for number one. A company will VERY rarely look after you, and it sounds like you have an easy decision with your current employer if indeed they are that ill-willed toward you.

Latest resources

Back