Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SpeedBug

Gulfstream Transforming its Product Line

Gulfstream Aerospace is developing a derivative midsize business jet based on the former Astra SPX (now known as the G100) and is revising the nomenclature, options, prices and mission profiles of its current business jet line, the company revealed yesterday at the NBAA Convention. The Savannah, Ga. airframer is working on the G150, a G100 derivative with a wider fuselage and more aerodynamic nose. Meanwhile, it is dropping the familiar Roman-numeral suffixes from its familiar homegrown business jets, giving them also “G-hundred” designations. The in-production GIV-SP, for example, will morph into two models, the G300 and G400, after the 500th GIV is built, while the in-development GV-SP will become the G550. After the 200th GV comes down the assembly line, it becomes the G500. The company has delivered 184 green GVs to date. The G450 designation is reserved for the still-under-wraps GIV-X. But the rebranding goes deeper than simple nomenclature changes. Important elements of the redefined models include fuel capacity/range, standard and optional equipment, completion flexibility, training, warranty, and maintenance packages and price.

I wonder what the GIV-X will be? Citation X contender...supersonic maybe?

I am amazed that with Gulfstreams heritage and self-image that they are considering changing all of their fleet designations to the "Century Series" designators from the Roman Numeral sequence they have used for the last 40+ years.... :eek:

G-550 just doesn't have the same ring as G-Vsp... :rolleyes:

Oh well... I guess thats why I fly a Falcon! ;)

NBAA

I just got back from the NBAA Convention. Good show with lots of nice new toys, great receptions by Gulfstream, Bombardier, Honeywell, Signature and Universal, but I like it better when the show's at Las Vegas or New Orleans.

The thrust of Gulfstream's new line is to challenge certain specific areas of the market:

The 12 inch wider G150 with the Gulfstream nose is designed to cut into Lear 60 business.

The G200 is still aimed at the Bombardier Continental which they announced at the show would now be called the Challenger 300.

The G-IV sized G300 with the 3600 nm range and a $25 million price tag is going after the Falcon 2000EX and the Challenger 604.

The G400 is the all gussied-up virtually no options G-IVSP, lavishly appointed with a range of 4100 NM. It pretty much targets the Falcon 900EX.

The G500 at $37.5 million with a 5800nm range is aimed squarely at the Falcon 7X and should Bombardier be able to capitalize it, the Global 5000 (the Monday London Financial Times reported that Bombardier is in dire financial straits).

The G550 is pretty much in a league of it's own. Just under $45 million, 6750nm range with a Plainview Cockpit, HUD, Enhanced Vision, improved aerodynamics (much slipperier) and 6% more thrust (15,385 lbs. a side versus 14,750).

There were some cool new airplanes at the show, notably the Eclipse, which at under a million for a twin jet, has the potential to change the air taxi and personal jet market. Cessna's new Mustang at 2.295 million is pretty exciting as well.

Last edited:
Talk about odd names Falcon Captain, the Falcon 7X just doesn't roll of your tongue like the Falcon 10, Falcon 20,................ To me, the name misses the mark.

Dassault uses an x after a number to enhance the fact that it is in development. not in production yet. This is widely used in Europe. For example: before it became the A380 it was called the 3XX.

I could be wrong, but Dassault introduced the aircraft as the FNX at the Paris Airshow, and later changed it to 7X, it's official name when Dassault finalized it's design. It's not a temporary name like the A-3XX or B-7X7.

Hey GVflyer, were you at the management seminar?

I missed the Bombardier reception, but did they say anything about the Challenger 800? Seemed like they had a Challenger 800 model on display, or where my eyes deceiving me?

fokkerjet said:
Talk about odd names Falcon Captain, the Falcon 7X just doesn't roll of your tongue like the Falcon 10, Falcon 20,................ To me, the name misses the mark.

I agree completely... I actually like the name Falcon FNX better than this 7X deal... But I also agree with LearJetGA that maybe Dassault will rename it once it is in production...

A couple years ago Falcon was working on a bigger 900 and they were going to call it the Falcon 9000.... Maybe the 7X name will turn into something better...

GVFlyer... this G300? A entirely new plane??? Hadn't heard about that one... I was very disappointed Falcon didn't put inboard slats on the Falcon 2000EX... they made all these other improvemnets but didn't go for that which would have greatly improved runway numbers.... Things that make you go "Hhhmmmm...."

The G400 sounds like it is just a G-IVsp with a new name tag.....

G500? another new plane? or a short range G-V? Like Bombardier did with the Global/Global 5000 (bad idea in my mind)...

I think the G550 (ugh... that doesn't even sound right) ok, the G-Vsp will be king of the hill in Ultra-Long range planes for a while, doesn't seem to me that Bombardier is doing anything to try to improve the Global... It is just a shame Gulfstream didn't make the G-V cabin about 18"-24" wider.... would be perfect....

Oh well, there are a lot of great planes out there and a lot of new and exciting things coming down the line... the future shall prove to be interesting!

Fly Safe!

501261 said:
I missed the Bombardier reception, but did they say anything about the Challenger 800? Seemed like they had a Challenger 800 model on display, or where my eyes deceiving me?

The Bombardier Reception had a Polynesian theme and was held in Hemingway's at the Hyatt Grand Cypress Resort.

The Bombardier boys were actually busy rebranding on Monday when they announced 3 new models: the Challenger 300 nee Continental, the Challenger 604 previously known as the Challenger 604, and a business edition of the CRJ-SE called the Challenger 800.

GV

Falcon Capt said:
GVFlyer... this G300? A entirely new plane???

Nope. It's a lighter weight, stripper model of the G400.

The G400 sounds like it is just a G-IVsp with a new name tag.....

Yep, although it will have a common nose with the G500/G550.

G500? another new plane? or a short range G-V?

It's a derivative of the GV, but it will be an absolute beast: 85,500 pounds (5000 lbs lighter than the GV) but with 1200 lbs more thrust. Yee Haw!

It is just a shame Gulfstream didn't make the G-V cabin about 18"-24" wider.... would be perfect....

I'm sure that there are many that would agree with you, but increasing the inner diameter increases the total wetted area which increases drag and decreases performance. Gulfstreams are all about performance so that dog won't hunt. We would also loose the big windows which are conformal to the shape of the 7'4'' ID hull.

Regards,

GV

Latest resources

Back