• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

......getting to the majors

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I've commuted between ICT and ORD weekly since June. I've been lucky and haven't had many problems. My schedule varies between 4-3 and 4-4. I'd hate to try it on a 5-2 schedule.

we work 5-3-5, but should be going to 4-4 soon. Haven't had too many problems getting to work, we are in CASS, that helps out a lot.

fedex does NOT hire externally. your best shot at fedex is to start throwing boxes somewhere. after 6-12 months you can bid on jobs. there are usually a few job openings every year. 1 of the guys that was just hired is 25 and has less than a year of dispatch experience.

Now tell me how THAT makes any sense?:angryfire

You have a TON of experienced Dispatchers out there that can bring true quality with their experience and they go hire someone with less than a year experience just because he threw boxes!

So much for paying your dues guys, just go throw some boxes or bags to get a Dispatch job!

And whats worse is you guys allow them to do that rather than say you want experience working side by side w/you.

Pathetic!

Last edited:
MAN that still fuels my fire! That is what keeps our profession down for the sake of some good 'ol boy system within a company.

Not to just bash FedEx since Delta and Southwest do the same damn thing. Do you think they would hire a pilot since he threw boxes? Would Delta or Southwest hire a baggage handler as pilot over an experience pilot?

So why do we, as Dispatchers, punish those who have paid their dues and gained experience for the sake of politics?

I for one voice my opinion for that practice to STOP because it only hurts Dispatchers,their career and allow management to keep viewing our job as low grade.

I can see pros and cons to each side of this hiring practice but I am not going to risk carpal tunnel to post my opinions because the decision is not ours.
Hiring practices are set by management.

Delta is hiring right now for 5 spots, but they are taking 3 from ASA, and 2 from comair.

good to see there is flow through there now. That was what I was looking for when I first hired on with ASA. Went on to much greener pastures since then. So I guess I am wrong about Delta hiring without experience, but they were that way when I was at ASA. If Southwest and FedEx can change their ways maybe paying your dues will mean something again.

Do you think they would hire a pilot since he threw boxes? Would Delta or Southwest hire a baggage handler as pilot over an experience pilot?

fedex posts pilot jobs internally all the time. i know pilots that were handlers, mechanics and dispatchers within the company. paying your dues doesn't always mean dispatching for 10 years at a regional. it also means getting a job at a regional and thowing bags/boxes for a major. i worked 7 days a week for over a year to get the experience needed to get my job. why sit around and wait for a job to go external? why not bust your @ss at 2 jobs for a year or so and get your "dream job"? show some effort.

Last edited:
fedex posts pilot jobs internally all the time. i know pilots that were handlers, mechanics and dispatchers within the company. paying your dues doesn't always mean dispatching for 10 years at a regional. it also means getting a job at a regional and thowing bags/boxes for a major. i worked 7 days a week for over a year to get the experience needed to get my job. why sit around and wait for a job to go external? why not bust your @ss at 2 jobs for a year or so and get your "dream job"? show some effort.

yeah, like the 25 year old with less than a year experience?

seems you missed the point

Latest resources

Back