Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CWI

SWA hiring 1 in 5..............

I don't know about you, but 20% hiring rate! That doesn't sound like very good odds?

I spoke with a fellow KA pilot who is looking to get on with SWA and we were discussing the odds of getting hired, ie 1 in 5.

He has a SWA friend that told him if they, SWA, feel they didn't get to know you during your 45 minutes of interview time you were going to get the Letter!

Considering most have 1000's of hours of PIC, type ratings and college education it's hard to believe that they only hire 1 in 5. So maybe there is some truth to the above.

For whats it worth....................

CWI

Last edited:
We have been hiring nonstop for nearly two years. We only hire people we feel will fit in well with our culture. After two years of nonstop interviewing, it shouldn't be a suprise that the numbers of people interviewed versus hired are lower than before.

CWI said:
...it's hard to believe that they only hire 1 in 5....
Read the SWA DB thread. It seems more like 1 in 15 if that thread's any indicator.

Birdstrike said:
Read the SWA DB thread. It seems more like 1 in 15 if that thread's any indicator.

1 in 15? No way. A week or month with 1 in 5? possible but seems too few.

I have heard about 1 in 3 or occasionally 1 out of 2.

How about all the folks who gave $50 to FedEx, $200 for FE written and a day off of work to grip and grin with an ACP? I'm betting no more than 1 in 10 get the call to interview out of that process. Maybe much worse. Then they still tube at least 35% of those interviewed.

Last edited:
FlyBoeingJets said:

How about all the folks who gave $50 to FedEx, $200 for FE written and a day off of work to grip and grin with an ACP? I'm betting no more than 1 in 10 get the call to interview out of that process. Maybe much worse. Then they still tube at least 35% of those interviewed.

Whether you do this or pay for your type rating, nobody's forcing you to.

At a time when the industry is at(or near) its worst, it's reasonable to expect those still hiring to be picky. At least you know what you need to do to get the interview(737 for SWA, sponsor for FX), that's a lot more info than guys who were trying to get hired 10-15 years ago had.

FedEx does the 'weeding out' before the interview then hires most of those.(the 65% includes sim failures, so the real number for actual interviewees is probably closer to 80...just a guess). SWA has always done the weeding out at the interview, i.e. fewer than 50%success. I don't know which is better...neither if you never get the call or don't pass the interview.

So you know what you have to do to get the interview...the rest is up to you to put on your best face when you do get the call. That's about as good as it will ever get with a job interview IMHO.

Now Go Gett'em!!!

FNG

roughneck said:
We have been hiring nonstop for nearly two years. We only hire people we feel will fit in well with our culture. After two years of nonstop interviewing, it shouldn't be a suprise that the numbers of people interviewed versus hired are lower than before.

I know of people that would fit in perfect with SWA's culture and still got turned down. There's more to it than that. Who know's what it is.
Just my 2 cents...

FlyBoeingJets said:

Those figures are wrong. My interview group went 12/12 and so did the day before. 80% is the historical rate. Most who get to the Grip and Grin get an interview, except those who require an SCP referral. (those with special circumstances,, furlogh, active on another airlines list, accidents, etc.)

If your buddy decides not to go....it makes the odds for the others 1 in 4. Tell him to stay home. Since he lives by odds he should stay indoors too!

HoursHore said:
Those figures are wrong. My interview group went 12/12 and so did the day before. 80% is the historical rate. Most who get to the Grip and Grin get an interview, except those who require an SCP referral. (those with special circumstances,, furlogh, active on another airlines list, accidents, etc.)

You are the one who is wrong. Just because your unscientific "what happened to my class" results are good doesn't make it so for everyone. There is no way everyone who gets a grip and grin is getting an interview. Maybe so in the past, but not now.

Do a little research and you'll discover what is happening now.

Latest resources

Back