Getting the Young People Involved

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You have to want to do it.

Exactly. Take the kids to the airport when they are still very young. Let them watch the planes take off and land. When they get a little older, it will be something that sticks, or it doesn't. It's kinda like this, if you take a kid to a baseball game, chances are they are going to want to be a baseball player. Maybe they will do some little league action, but not many people play in they majors, or even play in high school for that matter.

Expose your kids to alot of things, and let them pick what they are interested in. Nothing worse than the kid :"that is playing baseball because that is what his parents want him to do."

All very true. We faced many challenges when we learned to fly. However, life is one challenge after another. We must show the youth the value of being a pilot. We must find ways to help them afford training. The best way I have found is to network with the local hanger bum's and go from there. It is most certainly a time commitment, but to achieve any worth while goal takes time.

David,

I love your attitude! I really do. I think what you are doing is nothing less than awesome. Don't read my posts the wrong way, mostly I'm just playing Devil's advocate. I wish it was as simple as it use to be, and I feel that way about alot of things. All I am getting at is that when I first started out I wish someone would have been more honest with me, but then again I got caught up in the advertisements in the flying magazines. How many people will admit to that?

David,

I love your attitude! I really do. I think what you are doing is nothing less than awesome. Don't read my posts the wrong way, mostly I'm just playing Devil's advocate. I wish it was as simple as it use to be, and I feel that way about alot of things. All I am getting at is that when I first started out I wish someone would have been more honest with me, but then again I got caught up in the advertisements in the flying magazines. How many people will admit to that?

I have appreciated your candid comments on learning to fly. We all know that the goal sometimes seemed to be insurmountable. I know from personal experience that it is possible to train for far less than what flight schools charge. There are a lot of people just like you who would help if they knew of the need. Most of us are doing fairly well financially now. Many like myself own trainers. They are cheap to operate and could be made available to deserving youths.

The challenges we face today in getting the young to be involved with aviation is a daunting one. It’s hard enough to get them to put down their mobile phones and stop texting long enough to see the value in it. With XBOX 360 and Nintendo Wii we have even greater challenges. When we were young there was not a whole lot to do besides play outside and build model planes. We spent our summers fishing and playing cowboys and Indians. Attending an air show was a great thrill to us.

No more model airplanes because the glue can't be sold to kids. Fishing is bad because of the mercury and pollution in the water. Kids can't play as cowboys anymore because toys guns might offend someone. You can't use the word indian anymore. Airshows cost too much with parking and entrance fees and the $5 drinks (because you can't bring your own anymore).

Obviously I'm just poking fun

No more model airplanes because the glue can't be sold to kids. Fishing is bad because of the mercury and pollution in the water. Kids can't play as cowboys anymore because toys guns might offend someone. You can't use the word indian anymore. Airshows cost too much with parking and entrance fees and the $5 drinks (because you can't bring your own anymore).

Obviously I'm just poking fun

Oh, you can buy glue, it just doesn't stick anything together. Airshows are too much flash. What young people need to see it what could be a possible goal. Flying with the Blue Angles would be great, but not really gonna happen. Maybe 1:4,584,347 odds.

By the way, in grade school we were the Wiley Post Elementry School Blue Angles. Oklahoma City, Oklahoma k-6.

A local Catholic school is having an auction and has asked me for a signed copy of my book for a bundle of children’s books to be auctioned. They also asked if I knew anyone who would offer 1 hour of flight time to be auctioned. I volunteered to give 1 hour in my Cessna 150. What a great opportunity to put my ideas in place.

Latest resources

Back