Getting the Type for SWA from a New Hire

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
JTB said:
Lastly, have a Plan B. I recently talked with a military bro who was getting out in the next couple of months. He had a "hook up" with a friend at one of the cargo companies. While that's an awesome plan, I asked him what if cargo company X doesn't work out - he didn't have another plan. When I asked him what about Jetblue or Airtran or SWA. He said the Jetblue app was too long, Airtran didn't want mil reserve folks and he didn't want to spend the money on the type for SWA. I of course talked with him about the benefits of each company, but the underlying problem with him was attitude. His attitude was "I'm gonna get the job with cargo company X. jtb

It wasn't too long ago that UAL would ask such questions in the interview. If you didn't say you 'had apps out' it would be a red flag. Some sort of arrogance thing that they wanted to screen out.

The type thing is different altogether. If you have the cash to spare it is worth it if you want to work for SWA. I know there is a debate raging on this, but it does show a commitment to the industry and an ability to adapt to civilian flying for military folks.

On the flip side, FedEx likes military guys to show a singleminded attitude and 'commitment' to them. But the aviation industry is littered with military guys who were either not interviewed or turned down by FedEx. You can put you career on hold for one company or aggressively pursue employment. Tough choice. Doable if you are young with military employment in the interim.

At most carriers it may make you look foolish to not apply elsewhere. If not foolish it may make you terribly nervous in the interview knowing since you only applied to one company you have to make it or else.

Last edited:
“AV8OR - You're absolutely right about the mil reserves w/ Airtran. My point is that some folks don't apply for an opportunity based on a (false) perception. Or because they hear about a friend who got rejected from company X and believe the reason why was because of so and so. It's easy to discount a carrier for falsely perceived reasons. It takes more work to realize AT has been on their business plan since 97 and are growing and are bringing great folks onto the property.”

Very true and a good point! Tell him that if things don’t work out at his choice #1 he should apply at AT, I think he’d like it at here.

av80r (that’s with a “zero” not “oh” – don’t want the other guy get nasty PM’s meant for me :) )

1st: Everything in this industry is a gamble.

2nd: It's never fair.

3rd: You'll get over No. 1 and 2 if you chose to.

Don't put yourself in a position of second guessing. Make your choices and stand by them. Opportunity does knock several time in one's career, so listen closely it may be knocking softly.

I bought my type in '96 after my mother died in '95. I also pre-paid my daughter's college with that inheritence. Interview/rejected at SWA in '97 and '99. Best and 2nd worse interviews. Rejected by DAL, AWA, and Emory in '98. Accepted by Airtran, Vanguard and ATA also in '98. Accepted the ATA offer. I also divorced my 1st wife in '98. You can see there's tons of hindsight available here.

I stuck it out at ATA. I've had a blast, and until last year, it was a good choice. Hindsight once again. I was hired onto the L10, went to HI and Japan my 1st month online. Flew the B757 (typed), my favorite airplane for 6 months. Upgraged to CA on the B737, another fine electro-beast, at 4 years, 9 months at 37 years old. May 1 I was downgraded to FO on it. I have no regrets.

I've reapplied at SWA last November after the Airtran deal was announced. After the '99 interview, I thought I could never do a better job than that one. So I haven't tried until now. That's the point. You'll never know until you try.

If SWA is the place you want to be, then you'll spend the money. Yes, I could have used the cash to pay off my dumba$$ attorney, but I wanted, and still want, to work there. You can't worry about rejection. The last question the AWA interviewer asked me was, "So, if SWA calls you back (remember, rejected once) would you go?" How the he!! do you answer that? You also can't worry about your "statistics." It's all in the attitude and how that compares against the others' you're interviewing with, but you have no control over that.

If you get rejected, you might find happiness somewhere else, and you can always try again. And again. And maybe again. Southwest isn't perfect. They do hire many you would consider undesirable or uncompetitive. Some do get through the cracks. I know of two that they've hired, but you can't let that enter into your thought processes. You have no control over that. It's not about them, it's about you.

If you have the money and the desire. Do it. If you don't have the money and the desire is great enough, you'll find the money.

Halin, your old mesmerizing avitar is missed. Thanks for the honest perspective.

I had a pm that asked if the stats from our interview group was the norm (4 out of 12 hired). Gosh, I've wondered and have scratched my head since the results of that DB. I don't know the details of how folks are evaluated. You may have had your absolute A game and still come up short. My sim partner from HPA and I interviewed on the same day. Both of us had our references called. I got the "call" and he didn't. That still crushes me as I think about it. He's a great guy and great friend who will be back! So what's the norm as far as interview to hire? I've seen 40-60% as far as results of the DB. This has been talked about a lot on this board.

The real question is this -are you going to let stats hold you back from getting a type to have a shot at an awesome company? Or are you going to let a rejection hold you back from improving your quals and giving it another shot. I'm writing this to the folks who have the quals or will soon have the quals and are tossing around the idea of getting the type.

jtb

FWIW, AirTran seems to be interviewing and hiring a handful of ATA guys each month. We may be hiring more ATA guys than SWA is . . . . no flame, just a hunch, based upon a conversation I had with a good friend at SWA (9th year CA). I hope we're both hiring the ATA guys . . .

Man, if I had to choose right now between multiple carriers, it would be tough. The security of SWA versus a 2 year upgrade or so on the same equipment at FL. The pay and stability of Fedex or Brown, or the innovations of JB . . . . .

Commuting would be a huge factor.

Good luck to all . . . . may you all have that tough decision to make.

Last edited:
No flame intended, but I disagree. You need to take the job that's offered. If a better one comes up then you decide what you want to do. I wouldn't NOT go to Airtran just because I was waiting on a call from SWA that may never happen.

Just my 2 cents

I thought about it too, and edited the post. Every one has to do what's best for themselves, I guess.

Latest resources

Back