Getting Started in ATC?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
CUEBOAT said:
Can you explain this? I am plannning on completeing the CTI at College of Aeronautics. I havnt heard anything along the sort.

Yeah, the FAA closed the door on alot of the CTI schools. Rumor has it they want to shut down OKC as well, use the existing CTI's and then actually do the meat and potatos training when you get to your facility.

Another problem with the FAA hiring is that now the Bush is back in, more then likely the lower level twrs will get contracted. Natca called our tour last week to tell us we were in trouble, and our manager had out the contract binder last week so I have a feeling its coming soon. If so, then all the current tower controllers whos facilties are getting contracted will more then likely if the FAA is smart is staff them in larger towers. Word also has it they they may get sent off to ARTCC's but if they did that then the FAA is destine for failure. Tower controllers have a completly different job then TRAC's and ARTCC. You take some of the 35-40 year old controllers and try and check them out in a center, well, more then likely they will wash out. Im 26 so I would probably make the transistion fairly easy but in all honesty would rather be in a TRACON or a busy level 10-12 tower. LAX or SFO here I come!!!!

Thanks for the info, I guess i 'll just complete the CTI and be a pilot until i get called. If i'm stuck at some crappy regional i'll jump ship. if I never get called theres nothing I can do about. One of my teachers for the CTI is the east coast managers of all towers, he claims hiring will reusme in 05. who knows?

Don't they already do the meat and potatoes traing when you get to your facility?

If you really want to be a controller, keep your eyes constantly moving to the various web sites for the facilities and in touch with the controllers.

ZOA had a huge hiring fair last year that I missed by not being able to get to Oakland in the 4 hours left of their job fair. According to the IT tech, it was only announced on the FAA region's website for one week before the fair, and yes, potential controllers were hired off the streets, no CTI or degree required.

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein

Ok fellas... I'll try and add some info. Sorry I haven't been on the board much, since I bought GTA San Andreas for my PS2 I have gotten NOTHING done... LOL. Since I smashed the controller last night I figured I would check out the web...

There are numerous reasons for the current freeze, the whole ATO transition is one of them. This has been a major project for the agency and there have been a lot of problems. The FSS's are being privatized, part of the agency's "plan" is to flow many of these people into other facilites. Same thing with the slower towers, a major fight is brewing about privatizing many of them and flowing those people in the bigger facilites. Natca's contract is just about up and both sides are getting ready to brawl, $$$ has become a major issue in the agency. Many departments have had their budgets slashed or even taken away to cover controller salaries. Bush is not friendly towards the federal workforce, and has been especially rough on the controllers. Don't forget that the last 2 years the FAA has not asked for one single dollar to hire anyone, as far as I last checked he has not signed this years bill which does have $$$ for hiring, but that was added by congress, not asked for by the FAA. It seems they are plugging major problems with some new hires (at ZNY we got 8 MARC students back in August) and we have received about 3-4 transfers. The 8 new guys were to help with staffing while oceanic is training on their new system (Ocean 21, AKA ~> ATOP).

What does all this mean ? My $.02 is that if you're 30, 31 yo then you might not make it in, it could be tough. If you are younger and can ride out 2-3 years I think things will improve. The retiring wave is already starting and in my building 2006 is gonna be ugly, a lot of people are leaving, they are already making plans. By then the ATO will be running a lot better, their should be a new contract and the fight about privatization might even be worked out. Keep in mind you are talking about an extremely poorly run Gov't agency... do not try and rationaize anything they do... and I'm not joking about that, the things I see on a day to day basis still surprise me. If you enjoy aviation ATC is a great place to work, I think it is still worth making a try for it.

Hey CUEBOAT ... you go to COA by LGA ? The teacher you mentioned, are his intials J.M. ??? (no names on the board) If so I know who you refer to... he is a great guy, I actually ran into him yesterday at AEA. PM me when you get a chance.

i've heard the FAA eastern region (which is now in the southern region) called some people up and asked them were they wanted to go. my friend, who graduated from Beaver with me 2 1/2 years ago still isnt hired, but he got a call from the FAA asking him if he would rather go to a center or a terminal (tracon or tower). they also asked him where he wanted to go in the region. apparently, the FAA told him not to expect anything until at least January. dont know what thats all about...

to answer the original post about is it worth it? yes, but with a caveat. training to be an ATC is not fun. CTI is not bad, OKC is a joke, but depending where you go, training will consume your life, thoughts, and wellbeing until you finish. i graduated from BVI and certified in ny tracon, but it was not easy. its like boot camp but for 1-2 years, everyday, 8 hours a day. thats all i will say. once you certify, its ok..the money is good, and its a fun job. but training is not for the faint of heart, to put it mildly. you'll be a whole new person if/when you make it through. oh, and you should enjoy working weekends, holidays, overtime, nights, early mornings, midnights...i believe i will be working new years eve midnight shift for the next 10 years until someone lower than me comes in an certifies. other than that, its a great job.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back