Getting ready....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
big commitement for mil route

Eventhough I am not an airline pilot, I would use caution in becoming a miltary pilot just to get PIC time to go to an airline. While it may be advantageous to do this, it will probably be a long time until you get enough hours to apply to a place like SWA.

Not sure how guard units operate, but being a military pilot is alot more than just flying. Good amount of BS to put up with, non flying jobs, deployments, etc. I would definitely do a gut check (talk to other mil pilots and do research) before jumping into it to make sure it is something you are going to be happy with for several years before you get a shot at the civilian job of your dreams.

I am going to use SWA as an example here. Here's a question for all you SWA pilots. If a young person approaches you about wanting to become a pilot for a carrier such as Southwest. And despite all the good and bad news they hear about the airline industry today, they are determined and ready to become an airline pilot...no "ands, ifs or buts" about it" attitude. What would you recommend that they do to get the right experience to eventually apply as a first officer at SWA? Regionals, Military, or any other options to get that Turbine PIC experience.

Military - period. There is no where else where you can fly supersonic, pull G's, and make some great life long friendships with a true bond of brotherhood.

No flame - I'm being 100% honest. Flying fighters has been one of the most enjoyable and rewarding things I've ever done in my life.

Military - period. There is no where else where you can fly supersonic, pull G's, and make some great life long friendships with a true bond of brotherhood.

No flame - I'm being 100% honest. Flying fighters has been one of the most enjoyable and rewarding things I've ever done in my life.

And to caveat about the predator thing and active duty - I wholeheartedly disagree. If you do well, study hard, and have a good attitude in UPT, you WILL get your first choice (if you desire to fly fighters). It's amazing what hard work will do for you - it worked for me. I wasn't the best stick in the class, but I worked my tail off.

I chose the civilain way.

The military doesn't just let you build your time and leave. They get you for, correct me guys, 7 years minimum before you can get out. Those 7 years could leave you behind the next hring wave.

The civilian route, if timed and lucky, could be as short as 2 years to get hired, upgrade and get your 1500 turbine PIC. Today it is nowhere NEAR that easy and I suspect the downturn has turned many guys into lifers that thought they'd only be there a couple years...... and that's not a bad thing. But make no mistake the next hiring wave IS coming. Retirements will pick up in velocity by December 2012 (Age 65) and I still suspect you're going to see a major player exit the market - either throught merger or bankruptsy.

Bottom line, for me, this is the best job in the world. I'm glad I did it but your results may vary.

Gup

I would like to thank everyone for their useful and informative commentary. If one doesn't mind the military route, then look into that. If you're not the military type, then the regionals are your primary option.

As long as you don't depend on making a living at it, be my guest.

Latest resources

Back