Getting ready....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

no1pilot2000

I am going to use SWA as an example here. Here's a question for all you SWA pilots. If a young person approaches you about wanting to become a pilot for a carrier such as Southwest. And despite all the good and bad news they hear about the airline industry today, they are determined and ready to become an airline pilot...no "ands, ifs or buts" about it" attitude. What would you recommend that they do to get the right experience to eventually apply as a first officer at SWA? Regionals, Military, or any other options to get that Turbine PIC experience.

Get a guard unit to send you to pilot training. Don't go active duty, you'll end up flying a Predator.... with the guard/reserves you get a great job you can always fall back on, AND you can still get a civilian job. It's the best of both worlds.

Go in the military. Hands down....if I had to do it over again.

Last edited:
Guard unit is good, but the available slots are few....

Fact is, the regionals are where the future of the airline pilot profession will be tapped. Nothing wrong with going to the regionals.....

We can't expect future generations of the profession to simply snub the regionals when for such a large percentage of pilots that will be the only way to be a pilot.

If the majors are to take back regional flying... then fine.... until then.....

Get a guard unit to send you to pilot training. Don't go active duty, you'll end up flying a Predator.... with the guard/reserves you get a great job you can always fall back on, AND you can still get a civilian job. It's the best of both worlds.

If I had the foresight when I graduated high school I would have enlisted in the Guard and worked as a jet engine mech or crew chief...anything in an aviation unit you would eventually like to fly. You have a part time job, have access to state/federal education benefits, have working relationships with pilots, and once you get your degree you will be a shoe in for a commission and flight school slot unless you are a dirt bag. After getting your wings, evaluate your situation and determine if you want to go full time with the unit or remain part time and try to find a commercial job somewhere. You will always have a pay check and a fall back plan, and you can't put a price on the memories, experiences, and personal rewards of serving in the military.

works for me

Latest resources

Back