Getting out after 21 years

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

~~~^~~~

Tonight I was forced to "register" with the local FBO and sign their lease agreement to avoid having my airplane "towed off airport property," even though I pay $125 a month for my tie down spot on an automatic bill. I now have an FBO ID badge that I have to wear to access the public airport where my aircraft is based.

Highlights of the lease include:
~Can not wash, or clean, your airplane without going through a course designed by the FBO.
~There is no course, so you can't wash your airplane, but they have someone who can clean it. Their staff wanted $500 to was my friend's Baron.
~You can't access the airport without the FBO ID. Neither can your friends, or passengers, unless they walk into the airport.
~You can not work on your airplane.
~You must take a course on the environment ( sort of hazmat training ) designed by the FBO
~There is no environmental course, so that rule is waived for now
~You can not drive on the airport, to get to your airplane, without taking a course designed by the FBO
~There is no driving course provided by the FBO, so they tell you that rule does not apply, but it remains there in writing
~You must pay the cost of implementing all of these courses, pay for the new gate, the FBO's ID badges and other airport and facility improvements deemed necessary by the FBO operator. The FBO and the County's goals are to improve the airport to a "premium facility." The gates and ID badges ( other than to enforce a monopoly ) is justified by post 911 security requirements that might be implemented - what a justification.

In my humble opinion this is nothing but a private take over of a public airport. The FBO owner demanded a meeting. At this meeting he made is point that he owns the lease of the tie downs and failure to comply with his requirements would result in the airplane being towed off airport property. Heck, I wanted to just sign the lease by mail, but I guess it was necessary to be there in person to get the ID, to tell them who I worked for, and what ratings I hold ( how is this any of their business? )

But, I am not fighting it. I'm just getting out. After flying general aviation aircraft for 21 years the cost has gotten too high. Not the cost of gas, or maintenance, but the cost to a person's freedom. This will kill general aviation. Hope all of you get flying jobs because the day is coming when flying because you love to fly will be illegal unless you can justify it to the local authorities.

Heck, I loved to clean & polish on my airplane, but that it illegal now at my airport....

Last edited:
Hey Fins,

Sigh...I always dreamed of my own ride. Nothing special, but something to call my own.

Where I live, the big iron has squeezed out the little guy. Hangar rent, when it is available, is over $500 a month. Leaving the airplane out in the tropical sun isn't really an option.

Bah humbug...

Nu

~~~^~~~ said:
Tonight I was forced to "register" with the local FBO and sign their lease agreement to avoid having my airplane "towed off airport property," even though I pay $125 a month for my tie down spot on an automatic bill. I now have an FBO ID badge that I have to wear to access the public airport where my aircraft is based.

Highlights of the lease include:
~Can not wash, or clean, your airplane without going through a course designed by the FBO.
~There is no course, so you can't wash your airplane, but they hav someone who can do it. Their staff wanted $500 to was my friend's Baron.
~You can't access the airport without the FBO ID. Neither can your friends, or passengers, unless they walk into the airport.
~You can not work on your airplane.
~You must take a course on the environment ( sort of hazmat training ) designed by the FBO
~There is no environmental course, so that rule is waived for now
~You must pay the cost of implementing all of these courses, pay for the new gate, the FBO's ID badges and other airport and facility improvements deemed necessary by the FBO operator. The FBO and the County's goals are to improve the airport to a "premium facility." The gates and ID badges ( other than to enforce a monopoly ) is justified by post 911 security requirements that might be implemented - what a justification.

In my humble opinion this is nothing but a private take over of a public airport. The FBO owner demanded a meeting. At this meeting he made is point that he owns the lease of the tie downs and failure to comply with his requirements would result in the airplane being towed off airport property. Heck, I wanted to just sign the lease by mail, but I guess it was necessary to be there in person to get the ID, to tell them who I worked for, and what ratings I hold ( how is this any of their business? )

But, I am not fighting it. I'm just getting out. After flying general aviation aircraft for 21 years the cost has gotten too high. Not the cost of gas, or maintenance, but the cost to a person's freedom. This will kill general aviation. Hope all of you get flying jobs because the day is coming when flying because you love to fly will be illegal unless you can justify it to the local authorities.

Heck, I loved to clean on polish on my airplane, but that it illegal now at my airport....

What airport and FBO is it so that we can all avoid it. The owner of the FBO can get F*&#ed, this isn't Germany.

This FBO will never get my business if y ou tell us which it is!!!!

Also, a call to AOPA and or EAA might help you out. They are very defensive about such things now.

Too bad the environmental lobby in some places is ruling whether you can even clean your airplane.

That's the People's Republic of California for ya. Ever thought of moving it to a different airport?

-Goose

Other pilots have had their airplanes "evicted" and AOPA has done nothing to help them. Guess the FBO just got to my name on the list and now it is my turn to deal. People have been calling the FSDO since the airport was built with public money, that seems to at least get a response from the FBO.

After the threats made tonight, I am afraid to rock the boat. The guy literally said my airplane would be pulled off airport property if I did not comply. $125,000 airplanes don't do well with such treatment and it will be harder to sell if he damages it. The County supports the FBO operator because he holds the lease on the land.

Bottom line is that it just is not worth it any more to fly general aviation airplanes.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Are there any airports nearby where you might be able to keep it at from now on? Good luck, and I want to know what everyone else does...what airport is it?

Edit: You beat me to it!

Hey whatever your name is,

Man, I'd tell the owner of that FBO to suck my dikc. You have a right to maintain your aircraft right where it sits at the tiedown(not major overhauls, but at least changing the oil or washing it, etc..) And they're wanting 500 to wash it? yea, maybe 50 dollars at the most.

And he's saying you have to take a class, but there is no class?? What the hell?!?! Definately tell everybody which FBO this is and get the word spread to totally boycott them. That's messed up.

Fins,

That just stinks. I can imagine some days you just want to go outand tinker... that's half the fun of having your own airplane. Maybe he can be bought out? I guess folks could organize but itsounds like a real headache and might not get anywhere for years.

I'm really sorry that happened to you. Way to kill GA.

Latest resources

Back