Getting back into the job market

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

hangar7guy

I'm looking for opinions on how best to get back into the regional job market after a few years absence.

I've got a ton of single engine hours [almost 4000] and a multi ATP but only about 400 multi. And what's worse, that multi time is about five years old or more; I've just been instructing in singles for the past few years in order to at least stay current.

With my qualifications, what should I be doing to get competitive for companies like Comair, ASA, ACA and Mesaba? Will some refresher instruction and currency in a light twin do it, or will I have to do some additional dues-paying [groan] with someone like AirNet, or worse? [By which I mean flying checks in some old heap of a Baron or 310 for a year or so?]

Thanks for any ideas.

2002 quals

Your quals aren't bad, although in today's market you may be a little light multiwise. You show a little turbine. Flight time is flight time. It is like money in the bank. I'd get current in the multis. That way, you can say you are current in multis. See if you can get some multi students so you can get some good recent experience and build more multi time. You will always be asked what kind of commercial flying you've been doing in the past six months.

I'd opine that your thought processes are in the right place about doing some kind of scheduled flying in twins. You will have a major plus if you can market current 135 multi time. Times aren't what they were in the late '80s and, I'm sure, in the late '90s, when flight instructors with 200-500 hours of multi were getting hired. The overall applicant pool is undoubtedly better qualified now, so scheduled experience will make you competitive.

Hope this helps a little. Good luck with your plans.

Dont forget, you can also try the fractional route. There are several to choose from. Also, why not try airnet or an outfit like that to get current multi time and good experinece?!?

Are there any local 135 outfits near you? The only problem might be that you have not flown twins in a while. Start bombarding people with your resume, the worst thing they can do is say no. That isnt any worse than your situation right now.

1900cpt

Latest resources

Back