Getting back in to it.....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bgaviator

So I have a degree in aviation science and hold a commercial multi-engine rating. I was an unfortunate graduate right post 9/11, so let's just say a lot of my aviation dreams got dashed. I haven't flown in probably 5 years now, and have a little over 300 hours......I've currently settled on being an airline dispatcher.....but sometimes I wonder if I'm really meant to be in the cockpit.
I'm just wondering if it's worth it.....to get back into the game and start getting my skills current in case the next big hiring boom happens again. My biggest problem is, how to build the time? I really hate flight instructing.....I mean, sure, I feel as though I'm a good pilot.....but not all good pilots are meant to be teachers......being a flight teacher just wasn't for me I don't think.......and I tried the whole work for an FBO and try to get rides from the hangar tenants......riiiiiight, never happened......not with insurance rules post 9/11. What are your thoughts? Worth it, or just not an industry to keep giving any more time to?

If you graduated just after 09/11, then what were you doing over the past few years when we saw the greatest hiring boom in the history of the industry? You might have missed one of them or graduated at a time when hiring was low, but you slept through the biggest one.

Begging rides from hangar tenants to "build time?" This has never been a viable method. If you tried it and it didn't work for you, small wonder.

Face the facts. You have no flight experience. You need flight experience. You need to seek entry level positions to get that experience. It's going to be difficult. You will make very little money. You will most likely need to move. More than once. You'll make very little money for a number of years to come, and you'll make substantial sacrifices to see your career move along. You'll almost certainly endure layoffs, furloughs, closures, mergers, and other unexpected changes. Once or twice you'll likely scare yourself to death. One day you'll make a reply to a thread, just like this one, and say the same thing.

Nobody can tell you if you are wasting your time. Only you can decide that. The question you may need to ask yourself is how committed you are to your choice. The results you field will be a direct result of the way you answer that question.

Well, I guess one of the questions I'm asking is if Flight Instructing is basically my only option (other than paying out of pocket) for building time again at this stage? Believe me, I'm not delusional about what it's really like....I work for an airline.
And why was I just so completely wrong about flying with hangar tenants? I had numerous people tell me to try to become buddies with them in order to get rides/time/experience. It's not like it's a disadvantage to have an extra set of eyes/ears in the flight deck.....so if I have a hangar tenant with a Conquest, and he's only flying around a couple of people.....what's wrong with asking to try and get some experience/time with them? Other than insurance companies having issues with it, as a pilot, I would not have an issue.

I'm an unabashed supporter of Avbug's input, especially the delivery.

Re-read his post. He's confirming the reality of the situation, not being the "Hang In There!" kitty poster. He literally just told you he's been through hell for his career- all of the less than rosy aspects he described are coming from his personal experience.

What's so wrong about riding ballast in a Conquest? The "bad," two of which come to my mind, are irrelevant to what he's telling you. Basically the message was, "How's that working out for ya? DUH!" You just admitted you need time but it just isn't happening. That was the point. Trust me, he wants you to succeed and be a competent, proficient and professional pilot <i>if</i> that's where you intend to go.

If you're willing to "buy" time, buy the whole damned plane. Drop meat bombs. Hell, buy a plane and drop meat bombs. There are scads of ideas out there, but the very best one?

INSTRUCT. Learn how to be a good teacher. It makes for a good captain, eventually.

*Oh yeah- if I had the $$, I'd buy a Conquest. A screamin' demon of a plane. Can you tell I worked for an operator a while back that almost bought one? Something about that machine...

Good luck. And take Avbug's advice to heart. I'm sure more will follow.

Last edited:
And why was I just so completely wrong about flying with hangar tenants?

Was it not you that said, ".......and I tried the whole work for an FBO and try to get rides from the hangar tenants......riiiiiight, never happened......?" You said it didn't work for you, and now you ask what's so wrong with it? Do you read your own posts?

I had numerous people tell me to try to become buddies with them in order to get rides/time/experience.

Yeah? How did that work out for you?

Don't build time. Build experience.

If you don't think instructing is for you, then you may be right. If it's the only work available to you, then you may also be out of luck.

Success if often about asking the right question. Presently the right question is not which opportunities may be available to you, but rather how committed are you to making opportunities?

I was a 300 hour pilot/Instructor when there were more Instructors than students. I worked at two airports at the same time to get any flight time. You don't seem too motivated to do what so many of your counterparts are and have done to "get flight time". I also agree that you need "experience" more than "time".

It's a case of supply and demand. There is more of (pilot) supply than demand. With hind sight I would of gone into several other fields and owned a plane by now and only flown on nice days.

But, if that is what you really want to do you will - find - flight time. It all depende on how hard you try. Luck (in finding flight time) will come in it's own sweet time. You can make your own luck sometimes...

So how much do you want this or are you just crying in your beer??

I think that settles the matter.

If you stand a prayer of making it in this industry, the only right answer would have been "more than anything else in this lifetime." Beyond that, your commitment lacks.

You've answered your own question. This industry is not for you.

what kind of beer?

Well if you have a full time job now, just about any kind of beer you want.

As a working 300 hour pilot what ever you can get for free, out of your parents fridge, the cooler on a corporate aircraft, or rolling drunks as they leave the bar after last call. If you can play pool well, you may win a few.

It most likely won't be "top shelf" beer.......

Latest resources

Back