Get my MEI vs pay for multi

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

walangtakot

Hello I am a 850 hr. CFI with no multi-engine time. I am looking to get my ME/mei very soon and bust out some multi engine time then apply to the airlines. My question is any recommendations of good places to go and get my ME/MEI. Would you recommend just coughing up the dough and getting on with a good airline quicker or sticking it out and working as a MEI. My current school has one POS twin and they use it as a bartering chip to keep you around. THANKS

Either way, go get your MEI. Even doing the training for you MEI is multi experience in the logbook. If you plan on building your twin time by instucting in nice VFR weather, expect it to take some time. I'd be willing to bet that you schools "POS twin" doesn't fly all that much and when it does it's the more experienced instructors that get the students.

If you don't even have your multi rating yet I would advise getting the ME rating as well as your MEI. However, Spend some time with a safety pilot and go out and shoot some approaches/missed/holds/emergencies etc for a bit. Spend some time becoming FULLY comfortable in multi-engine operations. PLEASE...for your own sake and the sake of your students don't go instructing in a twin when you're barely qualified yourself. I don't mean to sound harsh; but, multi students will try to kill you much faster than anything that you've experienced instructing in singles.

In short, do a little of option A and a little of option B. Get both your ME and MEI, spend some time renting a twin and gaining experience, and if a student happens end up in your lap in the process great...take the ball and run with it. Just remember, when the ME student comes through the door, it's more than a game of rock, paper, scissors to decide which instructor the student goes to. Get yourself some ME experience and show the school that you're qualifed and ready to pass on what you know.

Last edited:
I agree with all posted above. Most regional carriers currently aren't requiring all that much multi time, if none right now. There are a few that you need no more then 25 hours and one regional out there that will actually give you a multi & jet sic type. Pretty sad but true.

I agree with all posted above. Most regional carriers currently aren't requiring all that much multi time, if none right now. There are a few that you need no more then 25 hours and one regional out there that will actually give you a multi & jet sic type. Pretty sad but true.

most regional carriers aren't requiring much of anything these days, If you have a pulse, well then again some would waive that too.. nevermind.

go to www.flywhiteair.com get your multi commercial.
Cost $1895 includes housing, get it done in about a week.
They are a great bunch of guys, you will learn a lot.
They are generous with flight time.
You will fly in all sorts of weather.
I flew in actual for the first time with them.
I took my checkride in actual, Had to go vfr on top to do maneuvers.

Go there you will be glad you did.

you have good time to get hired at a regional.

I got hired with only 340/25

PM me with any questions about white air

Go to the FBO ask around for a single pilot operation on a twin cessena, navajo, king air operator and beg borrow and plead to ride along, maybe offer to help wash and clean the A/C and before you know it you got your fifty hours. I used to fly a King Air 200 hundred all over the place single pilot and would let folks fly with me anytime we did day trips.

while it is mostly just a pulse, you do need to get your ME comm. Get that and then get a gauge of what all the regionals are requiring.

Shoot for a more respectable one b/c you're going to be there for some time. Getting more experience so you can work at a better regional is well worth it.

Avoid Mesa, obviously Gojets, even be leary of TSA.

to get your me and or your mei I recomend travers air out in traverse city MI. 1295$ for about 6-7 hours of instruction, and use of plane on the ride. The ride cost 200. Search for traverse city on here and you will see my others posts about it. Great guy and operation. I got my multi in two days with 8.3 hours total when done.

Latest resources

Back