• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

General Lee will work until he is 75, at Kmart

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's all about knowing your limits. If you had a great pay check and then your three daughters went to Harvard, then you may be sunk. If you think you may only make a certain amount, and budget for it, and then make more---that is great. Living within your means is important. So, never go into buying a boat on your own. Always find another $ucker who will go into it with you.

Bye Bye--General Lee

michael707767 said:
I have to respectfully disagree with you. 100K is not a good pay check given the experiance and education most major airline pilots have. Think about it, pick almost any other profession which requires a college degree and significant professional training. How much are they making ten or twenty years down the road? My wife is in HR for a large company, about 10 years experiance now, and she's pushing 100K. My brother in law is an accountant for a large firm. He's about 12 years in and making 200K plus. Many of my buddies from college are now making that and more. A neighbor is a pharmisist, he makes about 150K. Another neighbor is a mortgage broker. Granted interest rates have helped but he's making more than I do. Sorry, there is nothing special about a 100,000$ salary, not for college educated professionals.

Now, do we have to be smart about our money, yes. Do I need to fund my own retirement, sure. Were some of the old work rules and pensions at major airlines unsustainable, you bet. But don't for a minute think that 100K a year is special.

For every example you provided, you can also provide one which makes a counterpoint. Take teachers who have more education on average than the typical pilot and what do they make-$50,- $70K? Doctors have much more education than pilots and don't average much over $125K per year especially considering all of the HMOs and malpractice insurance. Don't need a HS degree to be a mortgage broker, yet many have made well over 100K within a year of coming into the industry-few barriers to entry. Many $200K accountant jobs will be outsourced in a matter of few years.

You are rationalizing the Pan Am, IBM days of the past. No, 100K is not a great pay check for what airline pilots do and the education they have, but on the other hand, 200K is too much money for a 25 year old mortgage broker with no college degree (or is it?) The only way in which 100K per year is great is if you live as though you make 50K (which many happy people who have more education and work harder than you do.) 100K is not, great, nor good, but it is decent.

General Lee said:
Living within your means is important. So, never go into buying a boat on your own. Always find another $ucker who will go into it with you.

Still riding around your bass boat in that pink thong? ;)

Stifler's Mom said:
Still riding around your bass boat in that pink thong? ;)

Yes, it attracts bass and old women.

Bye Bye--General Lee

miles otoole said:
Or old bass and large mouth women.

You describe my wife perfectly---not an old bass though! She had to be the other.....

Bye Bye--General Lee

Didn't Kmart buy Sears and whats wrong with Kmart.

And speaking of the mart stores, did you know that Walmart owns Ambercombie&Fitch. It's supposed to be one of the hottest stores for the teen crowd. My son told me this.

General, best of luck. Who knows what the hell is going to happen. I thought GG would have had a better plan. I know the price of oil is killing all of us. But we have to stop giving tickets away. A friend of mine told me he was flying LGA/MCO on Song for $79.00 each way. You can't drive from LGA/MCO for $79.00. Go figure.

701EV

You're right about increasing ticket prices. That LGA to MCO market is a tough one, with AA flying 3 flights a day, Spirit flying two airbi a day, and Song flying 4 daily 757s. Then throw on the flights on Jetblue from JFK----12 daily Airbi, Song from JFK---4 daily 757s, Continental from EWR--8 flights a day (mostly 757s), and Song from EWR--1 daily, and then the occasional USA300 Airbus---it isn't hard to see that the market is saturated. With those low fares, it is best to fly planes with the most seats available to spread out the costs. Song 757s have 199 seats, and CAL flies some of their 753's on the EWR run which may have more than the 199 seats. We will have to lower costs to compete, no doubt. As far as GG having a better plan, I don't think anyone was planning on $65 a barrel oil. Our plan was on track, and with possible pension changes--it might have worked well. But, we will have to compete in this new high oil world----along with everyone else. Fares will hopefully come up enough to cover some of the "new" costs.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Flying Freddie said:
I am not gloating. I have been to many airlines in my career. Delta won't go away and that is good. We don't need more pilots on the street. Delta's financial situation will change GL's outlook on age 60 . He will vote using his pocketbook. We all do. My pocket book is blue, JetBlue. His is red, bleeding red.

Sierra Mike, I'm surprised at you.... bad karma's a bad thing and you invite it upon yourself.

Latest resources

Back