Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

General Lee or any other Intl' Europe Guy, (Power Convrtr Question)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

DX Jake

I got an Ireland trip coming up in a few weeks.

1 . Would any standard cheap power converter work over there? I'm guessing I know the answer to this question, but I thought why not ask someone who does it frequently. I don't wanna fry my laptop.

2. I've been told by some other guys on here, to definitely get the rental car insurance... so I will. I plan on driving from (south) Ireland to Northern Ireland. Any other tips? I'm using enterprise. I know the roads are really narrow.

3. Is there a Godiva at O'hare? Just kidding... not really... maybe.

You don't need a power converter. Many of your electronic plugs will state 100 - 240v some where on the pwer cord which you can use anywhere in world. The only thing you need is an adapter to change the plug type. I bought a 5 in 1 adapter with no converter and has been working great for 3 years.

Many years ago, cords were not made with the 100-240v range and then you needed a converter, but now a days you don't.

Save the Money

Your laptop's power chord should have a converter box built in. Look at it and it should say 110-220 volts. All you need is a plug converter which you can get just about any where. The hotels usually have them for the Yanks that forget them.

I got an Ireland trip coming up in a few weeks.

1 . Would any standard cheap power converter work over there? I'm guessing I know the answer to this question, but I thought why not ask someone who does it frequently. I don't wanna fry my laptop.

2. I've been told by some other guys on here, to definitely get the rental car insurance... so I will. I plan on driving from (south) Ireland to Northern Ireland. Any other tips? I'm using enterprise. I know the roads are really narrow.

3. Is there a Godiva at O'hare? Just kidding... not really... maybe.

1. Most, if not all electronics these days are dual voltage, so the cheapie prong-converter would probably be all you need. I have a transformer/adapter and have used it maybe twice in two years overseas - and then just as another adapter. Kahler Luggage sells decent quality, cheap adapters (maybe six bucks each for the UK adapters). Also, most decent hotels have 220/110 shaver outlets in the bathrooms, so if your cell phone or laptop or whatever can't be charged by 220 you can use that.

2. I have no idea - haven't driven in the UK.

3. You can buy Godiva bars and random small stuff at pretty much every book/magazine store at ORD. If you need something special, I suggest stopping at the mall first.

Edit: Beaten like a red headed stepchild.

The laptop won't be a problem. Like stated above, they're good to 240V.

You want to watch out for cell phone chargers and electric razors. Those can be just 110 and will get cooked if you plug them into a 220 outlet. Just check the plug and you will see the voltage rating written on it. Assuming you can read something written so small!

use kemwel.com for your rental car. if you have a mastercard platnium or gold or something (has to be MC) the card covers the insurance. (at least it did years ago when I drove over there)

No problem with my laptop power supply or cell phone charger anywhere in the world using a simple plug adapter, but I'll second the shaver comment. I was in Italy with a brand new corded shaver, and thoughtlessly plugged it into the "shavers only" labeled US-style two pronged outlet. The shaver ran better then ever for about 30 seconds before I smelled that good old scent of burning bakelite. Before I could shut it off, it slowed to a stop, cooked a little more for a few seconds (which I could now hear with the shaver no longer making any noise), and then ignored all pleas/threats/etc in attempting to restart it. It was then that I noticed the 220v placard located conveniently about a foot away from the outlet. I've used a blade since.

Bottom line - don't be fooled by a US-style outlet (if present), and be aware of the voltage and cycle needs of whatever you're plugging in. Except for that shaver, I've gotten by for years with only a plug adapter set to accommodate the various types of plugs around the world.

Just make sure you get the right Converter, gen!

-That giant plug-in vibrator you carry around the world to service your "personal" needs will definitely rock your world if you don't step-down to the right voltage!

-Just in case you see the Gen walking a little funny when he gets back from Sao Paulo, you will know what happened.

Latest resources

Back