• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Gemini Info

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I recently been notified for an interview for Gemini. Any info on pay, QOL, medical insurance etc?

Thanks in advance.

"G" spot...

Pay is as advertised:

http://airlinepilotcentral.com/airlines/cargo/gemini.html

QOL depends largely on your current 'living' situation, etc. You'll spend 12-14 days on the road --sometimes more depending on if you get back-to-back months-- followed by 14 or so days off. Folks on the -10 --from what I heard while I was there-- seemed to have it a bit worse off than everyone else. E.g., lots of reserve only lines, etc. However, last couple of bid periods have been mainly reserve for the -11 guys too. In any case, you're home based which is a significant 'plus' for most.

Fogrunner should be able to give you more specifics...good luck!!

Pay is correct. Lines are 17 days, pack for hot and cold weather because you never know.....
Anywhere from 11 to 16 days in a row at home. Home basing.
Hard lines/reserve lines aren't too important because even a "hard" line can get shuffled and you can end up somewhere else sitting reserve right in the middle depending on operational needs. (What Miami reserve line would be complete without a trip to Lagos?)
Sometimes you can get extended for a day or two but in 2 years so far it hasn't happened to me. Also have never been called at home so you don't have to worry about answering on days off.

Rumor mill has been extra busy recently regarding 747-400's as the growth vehicle.
Every airline has it's warts, and this is no different.
Overall it is what you make of it. Great bunch of guys in the cockpit.
Get your shots up to date and hop on!

Thanks for the reply. I am curious to know what a first year fo can expect in terms to pay based on that sort of schedule without per diem? What is atypical 18 day trip there?

Thanks in advance

first year count on $45HX65Hrs=2925X12=$35100
On the 10 side of the house your lines are built for 17days a month.
Like other posts you might start your pairing flying Africa and finish in Alaska.
Alot of rumors about 747's A330's or even 777's.
Been here a little over 2 years and got back to back to times and both times in Europe, over 30 days on the road.
Minim. of 11 days off/month.
Old pay scale was not bad, new one S@cks...
Upgrades, who knows how long it will take.
Parking the 10's but no new airframe coming on property yet.

If your looking for heavy time international, not a bad place to get experience. Whatever you decide good luck...

Thanks for the reply. I am curious to know what a first year fo can expect in terms to pay based on that sort of schedule without per diem? What is atypical 18 day trip there?

Thanks in advance

There is no typical 18 day trip. Last month I started in Chennai India and finished up in Toronto Canada. I recently transitioned from the 10 to the 11.

At the moment all hiring is being conducted into the 11. Training consists of 2 weeks of indoc in Dulles and 4 weeks of FTD and SIM usually in Long Beach, having said that the current new-hire class is in the SIM in Helsinki. Training pay is $50 a day and hotel. If you go to Long Beach for training the company also provides a rental car for each crew.

My medical insurance is $115 a pay period for family coverage.

QOL. Depends on what you are looking for and what your expectations are. Yes, you could end up doing a back to back. That is a long time away from home and quite frankly a few spouses will not put up with that. the caveat to that is you can parlay that into back to back time off which could equate to 30+ days off in a row. The current schedule is built around a 17 day line. So the most days off you will receive in a given month (31 day month) is 14 days. In Feb it was 11. 17 +11= 28days. Some will argue you will get more ie 15-16 days off. This is true with in the cycle not the month.

I can't comment on potential new a/c acquisitions, having said that there are some interesting things in the works.

Upgrades. No one ever knows. You can only ever look back, you cannot predict the future. I do not care where you work. New hires at US Air in 99 were being told a 5 year upgrade. The most Jr. Captain at Gemini has been here 6.5 years. He upgraded a year and a half ago.

Nicely done Fog!
I look forward to flying together again in March.
B190 was more accurate with his typo on "atypical". There is very little typical about the schedule. If you have an India, China, and Ghana visa, then plan on going to those places for sure Last month I started by commercialling into Chennai, India. The other places were Istanbul, Milan, Mombai, Dehli, Amsterdam and JFK jsut in time to sit out the JetBlue fiasco trying to get home.
Other points I can think of:
a 401K program (supposed to have company match, but that seems to be on a permanent freeze)
Union dues of 4.8% begin second year
a prepaid medical savings account that is pre tax withdrawn. (good for uncovered medical expenses throughout the year)
Vacation is 7 days plus 12 days you can "wrap" around the vacation days as you wish.

Some of the best doggone flight crews in the industry! I've been a few places before this, and the people here are truly good folks that you will enjoy flying with. In the past, Gemini was very good at weeding out most of the jerks. We spend a lot of time on the road together, and it really helps to have folks you can live with if you know what I mean.

I just got back from 30 days out of country, but will now have 29 days off. Tough when you're gone, but nice to have extended time at home!

Good luck in whatever you decide!

Latest resources

Back