Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SuperFLUF

lazy Mc Donald's pilot
I'm thinking about flying in to Gatwick and making a connection to Lisbon out of Heathrow on a Monday morning.

Anyone have tips or warnings? Can it it be done with a 3 hr connect?

Basically I can sit up in first to LGW, if I connect through AMS or CDG I'll be in a middle seat back in steerage.

I know the Tube goes to Heathrow, but not to Gatwick. I've always flown into Gatwick- it's the best kept secret of non-rev'ers. The loads are always better than the Heathrow flights.

The cheapest way would be taking the train into the city, and then the Tube out to Heathrow. I think King's Cross was the main station for connections from the Gatwick rail line. If memory serves, it's about 40 minutes into the city, so probably another 40 out to Heathrow.

There's also an express coach (bus) between the two airports. It's probably faster and more hassle free, but I think it's expensive. Like £30 or so.

If you have lots of time and want to spend minimum money, take the regular train (Not the Victoria/Gatwick Express) from the South Terminal to Victoria Station, then a regular tube to Heathrow. You'll have to change tube lines at least once, but this is relatively painless if you don't have a lot of luggage. Also, the Terminal 4 tube stop at Heathrow is closed, Terminal 1/2/3 stops are open. Easiest way is to take the express coach (bus) from Gatwick to Heathrow, but it's a little pricy.

Last edited:
You actually have quite a few choices, but I think 3 hrs is tight for any of these methods. LGW is 30 minutes south of London's central district even with an express train service. Let me get this map out....

# 1- Express Bus "Heathrow Express" from LGW to LHR nonstop. This runs I believe every 15 or 30 minutes. If traffic is light, its probably the fastest method. But the M25 roadway is probably always busy so you could end up stuck in traffic. I think it was around 30 US dollars.

# 2- Express Train- "Gatwick Express". This is heavily advertised as you are exiting LGW, and is the fastest method by far for train service. It runs nonstop from LGW to Victoria Station in central London. The fare is 12 euros one-way and takes 30 minutes, with trains leaving every 15 minutes. At Victoria, purchase an Underground (tube) ticket and take the Yellow line (Circle Line) to the South Kensington station. Transfer at South Kensington from Yellow to Blue line (Picadilly Line). Take Picadilly westbound all the way to LHR, which has 2 stops, T1 thru 3 and T4.

# 3- Slow multistop commuter train. "ThamesLink" This runs from LGW to central London and the fare is 10 euros. You would have to connect from Thameslink to the Tube at Blackfriars station.

I have used all 3 methods and would use the Express Bus or Train again when I go back.

FYI, The Tube is the Underground (subway) system, ThamesLink/NationalRail is a slower multistop train system, and Gatwick Express is just a high-speed nonstop train from Victoria to LGW. They may share common stations, but you'll have to purchase separate tickets to transfer between the operators.

Last edited:
ProLine4 said:
You actually have quite a few choices, but I think 3 hrs is tight for any of these methods. LGW is 30 minutes south of London's central district even with an express train service. Let me get this map out....

# 1- Express Bus "Heathrow Express" from LGW to LHR nonstop. This runs I believe every 15 or 30 minutes. If traffic is light, its probably the fastest method. But the M25 roadway is probably always busy so you could end up stuck in traffic. I think it was around 30 US dollars.

# 2- Express Train- "Gatwick Express". This is heavily advertised as you are exiting LGW, and is the fastest method by far for train service. It runs nonstop from LGW to Victoria Station in central London. The fare is 12 euros one-way and takes 30 minutes, with trains leaving every 15 minutes. At Victoria, purchase an Underground (tube) ticket and take the Yellow line (Circle Line) to the South Kensington station. Transfer at South Kensington from Yellow to Blue line (Picadilly Line). Take Picadilly westbound all the way to LHR, which has 2 stops, T1 thru 3 and T4.

# 3- Slow multistop commuter train. "ThamesLink" This runs from LGW to central London and the fare is 10 euros. You would have to connect from Thameslink to the Tube at Blackfriars station.

I have used all 3 methods and would use the Express Bus or Train again when I go back.

FYI, The Tube is the Underground (subway) system, ThamesLink/NationalRail is a slower multistop train system, and Gatwick Express is just a high-speed nonstop train from Victoria to LGW. They may share common stations, but you'll have to purchase separate tickets to transfer between the operators.

I wanna know how you pay the fares in Euros! That would save some cash.

When you get on the picadilly line, make sure it is the one going to LHR. The pic line splits. One goes to harrow and the other to LHR.

Thanks guys,

It looks like if we do it we'll take the Express bus. Its 18 pounds per person and the schedule shows 1:05 from Gatwick to Heathrow.

Last edited:
On a similar vein, does anyone have a good suggestion on connecting from Gatwick to Stansted, and back? Cost and time? I suspect fairly expensive, and not too quick, either?

Latest resources

Back