GATOR T-43 to retire

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No Big Deal

Am I the only one disgusted with contractor's flying a military aircraft?
Most are retired AF. The guy in the pic was my CV (and a really good guy btw) at Columbus. He retired as an O-6 and landed that sweet "retirement" job flying the T-43 at RND. I've got no problem with that. It falls in line with all of the other civilian contracting the AF does. Hondo (or whatever it is called now in CO) and QF-4 flying at PAM comes to mind.

Most are retired AF. The guy in the pic was my CV (and a really good guy btw) at Columbus. He retired as an O-6 and landed that sweet "retirement" job flying the T-43 at RND. I've got no problem with that.

Most? Sorry but that does not make it better. A retired guy is a civilian. Civilians should not be flying military aircraft. If they want to go to that point, go all the way. Sell the aircraft to a contract company and hire them to do the training. But an aircraft owned by the military should be flown by military pilots.

These contractors take flight billets from active duty guys. Some examples.... T-39s at NAS Pensacola, exchange tour in the T-43, FCFs in the training command.....and I imagine there are more. What once were good deal pilot billets and experience/flight time builders for a progression of active pilots are now contractor jobs for the few. Ironically, these contractors probably enjoyed one of those good deal tours.

Sad.

I have fond memories of that bird! I especially liked the looks from the Air Farce weenies when us 17-22 year old enlisted guys got off a training flight and belted out 20 (4 count) pushups.

Oo-rah.

Most? Sorry but that does not make it better. A retired guy is a civilian. Civilians should not be flying military aircraft. If they want to go to that point, go all the way. Sell the aircraft to a contract company and hire them to do the training. But an aircraft owned by the military should be flown by military pilots.
Then you should be thrilled that they are retiring the fleet!:rolleyes:

Latest resources

Back