• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Garmin GPSmap 496 in Challenger

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
We've been able to get reception of both GPS and XM on 2 out of 5 flights. We are using it on a CRJ200 (Challenger 850). Garmin didn't have any info of it being used in Challenger's so I thought I would ask here.

Thanks

If you put the antenna in the farthest forward corner on the center of the dash right next to the center support, it will work fine.

We use the 496 with XM in our older Citation II....GREAT piece of equipment for situational awareness. I wish we had the add-on that allows for a TCAD-type display but its not financially worth us since we're getting a new plane in less than a year.

Lear 45 and 40 worked at times, and only when going straight south...worked perfectly in a Citation Ultra, but in the lear its a waste of time , a combination of the glass windshield and the angle of the windshield seemed to kill it.

so it was sold on ebay...oh well

I've tried to use the GPS and XM recievers for our EFB's in our 600, but they can not see through the electrically heated windsheild. I think that could be a problem for you too.

Same with us. We tried one out and had to run the antenna from one of the PAX windows. Could not get a signal through our heated windows. The rear cockpit windows are not heated, however there must be enough interference from the forward and eyebrows that there was just no signal.

We did install XM for the pax, and with that we get downlink WX on our MFD. It is GRRREAT. That would be the way to go for bigger planes imho.

I had issues in the hawker finally got it to work on the side window
Can you say Faraday cage?
Electromagnetic shielding is the process of limiting the flow of electromagnetic fields between two locations, by separating them with a barrier made of conductive material. Typically it is applied to enclosures, separating electrical devices from the 'outside world', and to cables, separating wires from the environment the cable runs through. Electromagnetic shielding used to block radio frequency electromagnetic radiation is also known as RF shielding.

just wanted to throw into the pot that we have used a 396 with xm antenna sittin on the dash of our g2 for 3 years with no probs.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back