• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Garmin GPSmap 496 in Challenger

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not in a Challenger, but having used it in another turbine a/c I can remind you that the XM weather stops at the border... Nothing outside the continental 48. There may be another subscription for wider coverage, but I don't recall there being one two years ago when I used the 496.

I've tried to use the GPS and XM recievers for our EFB's in our 600, but they can not see throught the electrically heated windsheild. I think that could be a problem for you too.

We've been able to get reception of both GPS and XM on 2 out of 5 flights. We are using it on a CRJ200 (Challenger 850). Garmin didn't have any info of it being used in Challenger's so I thought I would ask here.

Thanks

Our D.O.M. has said they only will transmit with acrylic windows. Heated glass windows block the transmission.

Our D.O.M. has said they only will transmit with acrylic windows. Heated glass windows block the transmission.

My understanding id that the angle of the windshield had more to do with it than anything else. Ours worked fine in the 400A with heated glass, but there was plenty of room to move it to the front. I have also used it in an Excel with heated glass. I think the steep windshield causes the problem on the Challengers. Also, make sure the XM and GPS Antenna's are at least 6" apart and the wires are not strapped together.

The 496 works great with acrylic windows. We used it in the CJ1 and CE550 with no problems. Tried it in the CE750, couldn't even get a signal.

"Ram Mount" sells a glareshield bracket that works well with the 496. I miss using the 496.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back