Garmin GPSMap 396 Q

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Iceman07

Maybe this should be in the "Training" forum, but here goes anyway.

When I activate a GPS approach on my 396, it only allows me to select eithier "Vectors" or one the FAF(s). Is there a way to have it take me to a IAF?

Iceman07 said:
Maybe this should be in the "Training" forum, but here goes anyway.

When I activate a GPS approach on my 396, it only allows me to select eithier "Vectors" or one the FAF(s). Is there a way to have it take me to a IAF?

Sorry can't help with your question. But wow I didn't know it was that advanced. I wonder how many "weekend warriors" will be fly /G and shooting GPS approaches with this thing.

None will.. Legally.. You cannot file /G with a handheld.. The 196 will "let" you shoot GPS approaches AFAIK..

Now, I am still 50% human and could be wrong, but I don't think the 396 is /G qualifiable..

Iceman - How do you like it? I am picking one up in Oshkosh this year..

im using one for my instrument training and have filied /G every time. should i file something different?

Epic: I'm not sure if you were serious about filing /G with your handheld GPS, but if so, the answer is NO.

Here's a blurb from the AOPA website... properly cited and all that.

What can your GPS really do?

BY IAN TWOMBLY (From AOPA Pilot, December 2005.)
[SIZE=+2]W[/SIZE]hether handheld or panel-mounted, a global positioning system (GPS) receiver can be one of the most useful tools you will ever purchase in aviation. But while its potential uses may be unlimited, understanding what not to do with your GPS may be just as important as what you can do.
GPS units can be divided into two major categories — handheld and panel-mount. Handheld units are very capable and often can be plugged into a power source to negate the issue of battery life — until a back-up is required. Currently, there is a wide variety of units available on the market. Some have the ability to simply go from point A to point B, while others can match the capability of the panel-mount units with color screens, weather, traffic, and terrain depictions.
But no matter how good the displays or how capable the units, the FAA currently does not allow them to be used for IFR. Because handheld GPS units have the potential to lose power under battery, and lose signals because the antenna isn't hard-wired, the FAA feels they are potentially less reliable than their panel-mount counterparts. They are to be used for situational awareness and VFR navigation only. Unfortunately, that means you cannot file IFR "/G" (as a GPS-equipped aircraft) with a handheld.
On the other hand, panel-mount units can be used for IFR if certain conditions are met. First, the unit must meet the FAA's IFR certification standards. This also goes for the installation of each particular unit. Finally, the database must be updated to reflect the most current data. Updates are usually accomplished via a data card or port. If a unit does not meet that criteria, you can only use it for VFR.
Your unit must be IFR certified for en route and terminal navigation to be able to file "/G" in an IFR flight plan. Doing so opens the possibility for using your GPS on new direct routes through terminal airspace, called T routes, as well as for flying GPS approaches. There are even new GPS SID (standard instrument departure) routes and STARs (standard terminal arrival routes). You can find more about this subject on AOPA Online (www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsitems/2005/050901rnav.html). Also, you can use your IFR-certified GPS in lieu of DME (distance measuring equipment) and ADF (automatic direction finder). Visit the Web site (www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsitems/1999/991213gps.html).

Tram said:
None will.. Legally.. You cannot file /G with a handheld.. The 196 will "let" you shoot GPS approaches AFAIK..

Now, I am still 50% human and could be wrong, but I don't think the 396 is /G qualifiable..

Tram,

I know you can't flile /G or shoot approaches with it. I'm betting there are people out there who WILL do it anyway, wheather they know better or not.

Epic! I hope you are joking, if you're serious, I'd get a new instructor fast.

I did not file "/G". I was just coming back from a trip and thought I would try the aproach function so I asked for a practice GPS/A (Into KHFD). I asked for the "Thumb" transition.

I love the 396. It's one of thise things that the more you use it, the more you learn and the more you start thinking "How did I ever fly without one?". i.e. just this past weekend, I used the VNAV function for the first time. Wow, how cool is that?

Iceman07 said:
I did not file "/G". I was just coming back from a trip and thought I would try the aproach function so I asked for a practice GPS/A (Into KHFD). I asked for the "Thumb" transition.

Iceman07

I didn't think you did, I'm more worried about the average Joe out there who tries it in IMC.

The big shortcoming of the portables is lack of RAIM, or the ability to tell the user, in advance, that a signal will be lost. On purpose.

Other than that, they are wonderful devices. I have the C-Map version, with the big screen, but without the weather.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back