• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Garmin 396

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ya, you are only able to get US wx info.

I talked to the folks at Wx Worx a few months ago, they are supposedly looking into expanding the service coverage, no time frame was mentioned though.

I currently operate a king air with anywhere xmwx on my tablet with my jepp plates. I think the whole thing cost me under 1k. That was with a bluetooth GPS which is up on the windshield (heated of course) and xm antenna (wired on the windshield) still heated.

I'm going to switch over to WXWorx software tomorrow because anywhere map suuuucks.

I've got the xm router in the back of the plane giving my tablet information via bluetooth. I've also got the gps giving info bluetooth. Works awsome especially picking my way through a line of thunderstorms yesterday on my trip back.

I don't care what they say but the info they give you is pretty close to realtime. 10 right due to xmwx says to. :)

I am going to give the thing a whirl.. Thanks Diesel, sorry to hear of your loss. Take care....

Diesel said:
I currently operate a king air with anywhere xmwx on my tablet with my jepp plates. I think the whole thing cost me under 1k. That was with a bluetooth GPS which is up on the windshield (heated of course) and xm antenna (wired on the windshield) still heated.

I'm going to switch over to WXWorx software tomorrow because anywhere map suuuucks.

I've got the xm router in the back of the plane giving my tablet information via bluetooth. I've also got the gps giving info bluetooth. Works awsome especially picking my way through a line of thunderstorms yesterday on my trip back.

I don't care what they say but the info they give you is pretty close to realtime. 10 right due to xmwx says to. :)

We're using the bluetooth XM receiver and gps, works great in the beechjet. I did put an external antenna on though, when we are in the Northeast it was tough to get a signal without moving the portable ant. all over the glareshield. I probably wouldn't have done it except we were already getting another ant. put on so the cost was minimal.

Sabre- I was going to have the avionics shop install an external antenna but things got complicated these last couple of months and i forgot to call them.

You're right though in the NE the signal quality isn't so good because we're headed north and it needs to see the southern sky.

XMWX is a great product though. Coming through the storms yesterday i could get a much better track and figure out what I was seeing in the big picture.

Plus i was able to get an idea of the weather at destination hours away and watch the storms go through.

We have be using the 396 XM Weather in are lear 36, it works great.
dont have the gold heated windshields.

Diesel said:

Does the WXWORX antenna require external power?

sb

scubabri said:
Does the WXWORX antenna require external power?

sb

The Wx Worx receiver is about the size of a cd case and we just throw it under a seat in the cockpit. It requires 12-28 volts and we use a power cord plugged into a cigarette lighter type receptical. The antenna itself requires no power, it just connects to the receiver.

Latest resources

Back