Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

h25b

Left for ProPilotWorld
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this new unit and its XM Weather functions. I am specifically curious if anyone knows for a fact if this thing could work in a Lear 31A with the gold heated windshields.

All of the avionics guys basically give me the answer of, "Maybe."

I'm looking for a simple and relatively inexpensive way to get satellite weather in the cockpit before I start getting serious about the higher dollar routes.

Any other way is going to involve hard wiring a line out of the FMS, mounting another antenna for the XM signal, and then piping it all in to a tablet pc of some sort.

Last edited:
Also, if anyone can chime in on what they pay for the subscription to XM satellite weather.

Maybe this helps, but I've used the Garmin 196 in a couple of our aircraft; stuck the antenna on the unheated side window, and it worked fine. I have a XM radio that I've tried to use inflight and it did not work at all; no signal. (With XM radio, you need an unobstructed view of the south inorder to receive a signal) My luck with XM (portable model here) is that the antennas suck. I'm assuming that with the 396, the XM uses the Garmin antenna???

Ever thought of borrowing the 396 to see if it works in the Lear?

I think I am going to have to buy one and see if it works... If it doesn't just return it. The problem with the Lear 31A is that the whole windshield is heated.

We have a 396 with wx and it is awesome. We bought it right when they came out to use in a Westwind 2, as we fly coast to coast a lot. It is real nice having current weather and nexrad radar, among many things, right at your fingertips. The display is the best I have seen.

I don't know if the Lear window will block the signal. Our Westwind heat elements do not bother the signal. The antenna is separate from the unit, so it is possible to move the antenna somewhere else beside the windscreen if needed. It is a circular antenna about three inch diameter or so.

As far as the subscription price, we got the full package (Aviator) with XM Radio. I think it runs like $50.00 a month with an activation fee. I don't recall the exact price because we paid for a full year.

Id say it would be the cheapest, easiest way to get the current wx in the cockpit. You would be amazed at the display quality and information you will have at your fingertips.

cptsesso said:
We have a 396 with wx and it is awesome. We bought it right when they came out to use in a Westwind 2, as we fly coast to coast a lot. It is real nice having current weather and nexrad radar, among many things, right at your fingertips. The display is the best I have seen.

I don't know if the Lear window will block the signal. Our Westwind heat elements do not bother the signal. The antenna is separate from the unit, so it is possible to move the antenna somewhere else beside the windscreen if needed. It is a circular antenna about three inch diameter or so.

As far as the subscription price, we got the full package (Aviator) with XM Radio. I think it runs like $50.00 a month with an activation fee. I don't recall the exact price because we paid for a full year.

Id say it would be the cheapest, easiest way to get the current wx in the cockpit. You would be amazed at the display quality and information you will have at your fingertips.

FYI

I also am researching the 376 and it looks like a good unit. I am even going to use it in the car

The XM works in our LR45 with the antenna located at the edges of the heated portion of the windshield, weak signal if facing north, strong signal facing south. Good for current radar images, tops, etc.

Are you limited to where you can get the radar for? For example can you get radar in the US, Canada, and Mexico?

Freightdog99 said:
Are you limited to where you can get the radar for? For example can you get radar in the US, Canada, and Mexico?

NEXRAD is a US thing.

no NEXRAD sites in Mexico for sure, I know this for a confirmed fact.

Unknown about Canada, but the XM package is for US weather.

Ya, you are only able to get US wx info.

Again, great little unit. I wish I had one years ago flying freight. I would probably have a lot fewer gray hairs and a few more years of longevity on my life.

Latest resources

Back