• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Garmin 1000 pic. Beautiful

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yeah I've flown that 182T at Epic Aviation with the G1000. It was cool for a while, but after a while the price doesn't really justify it.

Fugly, the fun stuff has a lot less panel and a lot more window. I'll take a sailplane or helicopter anyday over pseudo submarine driving. Anybody care about looking outside anymore?

surveypilot said:
That is on a new C182. I believe that from the factory there is no increase in price for the glass panel. THe reason being that it is actually cheaper to install the glass than all of the individual guages. I have no idea what it would cost to retrofit and older airplane with the G1000 cockpit. I am sure that it is astronomical.
Actually, you can't. Garmin is only selling them to OEM's, and as replacement parts where originally installed. They have no comment on when/if it would be available through STC to some other planes.

Crimson03 said:
Fugly, the fun stuff has a lot less panel and a lot more window. I'll take a sailplane or helicopter anyday over pseudo submarine driving. Anybody care about looking outside anymore?

Word to that.

just like that cub that had the glass. defeats the perpous<sp> of flying a cub

Its an awesome panel!! It can do more than most corp jets, but why?? Your in a 172 and still doing 115 knots.....maybe. Not worth it! Flown it and its not worth the $$$ unless you go flying IFR I would say the 206 with that de-ice kit and the G1000 would be fun in the real $hit!!

Crimson03 said:

Looking out the window, is what I've always liked doing the most. But having additional awareness of weather patterns, traffic, terrain, bounderies, etc, never hurts.

Sailplanes can rarely get to where I want, and parts fall off helicopters more often than I'd like. Tried both, and no real desire for either.

Considering all the audio warnings these panels are capable of, in addition to auto-pilot duties, and a much better sense of situational awareness due to their large moving map, I'd suppose these panels permit even MORE time to look out the window. In fact I don't suppose, I know from experience.

The only limitation I see here is $$$$.

NookyBooky said:
Amen brother. A 2005 Cessna with a glass cockpit and satellite weather is not exactly the epitome of seat-of-your-pants flying. Leave that for the M.D.'s and J.D.'s.

So ahhhh. When is there seat-of-your-pants flying in a cessna? lol. You always have the option of taking your head outside the cockpit guys. I just think it would make for better IFR flying.

ultrarunner said:
Man, EVERYONE missed my point....

Now, we all agree the ADF is pretty much dead weight, but since they put an ADF in this plane anyway, the question should have read, WHY is the G1000 not acting as the tuning unit????

I'm sure it would have been a hassle and not worth the effort to package the ADF receiver in the box and decided to just leave it as an option, one that 95% of the people will decline. You got GPS for nav, XM for music, why someone would order one is beyond me.

Latest resources

Back