Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

NW Flyer

Hello all,

So, it looks like we may be interested in a G200, most likely used. Since this forum is chock full of you NJ guys with lots of 200 experience, maybe you can help me!

I hear tell that the earliest SN's were heavier, and more problematic than the newer airframes. Can anyone give me some insight as to what Serial Number range we may want to steer clear of?

How about BOW's? What do the NJ airplanes weigh? I have seen at least one 200 for sale that can't takeoff full fuel NO PAX because they are too heavy.

Any particular items we should look for on an individual aircraft? Important SB's, mods, etc? Options we really want, or those we may want to do without?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!

You want a jet after seriel number 50 or 54, cant remember but, that is when the switch to collins happened. I'm sure the universal stuff is nice, but the collins stuff is real nice.

BOW of the NJA jets I have flown is 20,000 give or take a couple hundred. Remember we don't have ovens or anything like that on ours.

There is a paper change coming to the max ramp and max TO of the G200's.
Max ramp is going to 35,800 and T/O to 35,650. Not much weight but helps sometimes. Don't know the process, I have just seen it on some of our planes. I would look into that if I was you.

Hope this helps.

PM me if you need anymore info. Also if you are looking for some contract guys, there are some high time G200 guys up in the SEA area I could put you in touch with.

I fly an early serial number (pre-50) G200 and with full tanks we are over gross by 171 lbs before anybody steps in.

The FMS is Universal and it is fine. The Collins will do the performance numbers for you that the Universal will not.

Aircraft is very noisy up front and in the back.
No access to baggage compartment in flight.
Very bad runway numbers, especially when wet and / or slippery.

Hope it helps.

I was one of the very first guys in the country to get typed in the Galaxy er, G200 back in early 2000. It's a good airplane, but you probably want to steer clear of anything earlier than say s/n 25 unless the price is extremely right. That is a totally arbitrary number - you really need to take a hard look at any of the early airplanes an see what their particular mainenence history is. Some of the early airplanes were actually pretty good, others weren't. The same thing can be said for the later ones. I've got a friend who is having fits with a later one. They have an earlier s/n that's does pretty well.

The Collins package is great, the Universal equipped airplanes are fine though. The early airplanes were heavier, but I understand that Gulfstream was going to do some retrofits to them to help with the weight issue. I don't know the status of that though. One of the early airplanes I flew couldn't dispatch with full fuel - there wasn't enough left over for the copilot. That was an early "pre-weight increase" airplane, but you're right weight could sometimes be an issue.

The airplane takes a lot of muscle to hand fly - those ailerons are pretty heavy for being hydraulically boosted. However, it lands very nicely and it will really make you good to your passengers. The APU is loud enough to shatter glass.

LS

I think its SN 52 where they went to all Collins. Somewhere around mid 30 SN Gulfstream really cleaned up the Israel production lines. Honestly though I've spent the last 5 years flying S/N 006 and as long as the SB are complied with the early SN's are very reliable. Its a great airplane that Gulfstream promised to make right when they bought the type and they truly did follow through with what they said they would.
20,500 lbs is a decent BOW, but I would pay attention on any pre-buy that all SB's are complied with. As far as the increased take off weight mod is concerned it is really just a paperwork change and you are paying a healthy chunk of change for the right to put the pages into the aircraft, there is no change made to the actual airframe.
I have one warning if you'd like to PM me I'll fill you. You and your passengers with love this airplane, best of luck

Latest resources

Back