G150 Questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Flyin Chicken

We are looking at getting one of these down the road. From those that have the beast, what are your thoughts? Does it have any squirrelly flight characteristics that should be explored on a demo flight? Is your department happy with the airplane and is living up to the book numbers? How has maintenance been?

Thanks,
Flyin Chicken

Don't operate a G150, but we did demo one last year.

We experienced the flap/slat issue that is common to Astras & G100s...but supposedly was fixed on the G150. The very embarrassed demo crew had a mechanic come out and reset a breaker (its position on the G150 is evidently different than the SPX/G100) and we were on our way with minimal delay.

Plane flew nice enough and was easy to land, and I've heard from G150 operators that it will meet or beat its book range figures. I've also heard that its a bit doggish in the climb with ISA+ temps (initial altitudes FL380-410) and that FL450 isn't a practical usable altitude. It also sounds like 0.83M is about all you can get at mid-weight MCT.

The cabin was VERY quiet, but I don't have any other midsize to compare it to.

When you start getting serious about the plane, make sure you ask the sales guy about its aft CG bias, especially on factory-new birds...most G150s can't carry full tanks unless there are a couple pax and bags onboard.

I didn't like the idea of standing on a ladder to load bags. Minor, until you have heavy stuff.

Gotta like that ProLine 21 system up front. Nice, big screens. I know one guy who flew one for 2 years and really enjoyed it.

we fly one, fly the wings off of it, 1300 hours in a little under 2 years...no baffling in the fuel tank so on initial climb the plane tends to surge and "waddle". Flap/slat PCU's are a pain if they go out, Gulfstream product support has been very responsive. We put 9 pax on regularly and loading bags can be a beyotch, most of our stage lengths are 1-1.5 at a time but we have done a few transcons with no problem.

we fly one, fly the wings off of it, 1300 hours in a little under 2 years...no baffling in the fuel tank so on initial climb the plane tends to surge and "waddle". Flap/slat PCU's are a pain if they go out, Gulfstream product support has been very responsive. We put 9 pax on regularly and loading bags can be a beyotch, most of our stage lengths are 1-1.5 at a time but we have done a few transcons with no problem.

For 150 drivers, where is the raft stored? Forward or Aft closet?

I'm thinking most operators don't have a need top it off and send just the pilots on a 3000 nm trip, but you never know I suppose.

Reposition leg from home base (cheap fuel) to another airport to pick up the pax. It happens all the time assuming landing weight can be met.

Reposition leg from home base (cheap fuel) to another airport to pick up the pax. It happens all the time assuming landing weight can be met.

Right, we're talking about topping it off with crew only. So yeah, if you're routinely filling it with that cheap fuel at home, and then repositioning on a leg with a 4000 lb burn (to make landing wt), then yes, I guess the CG issue with the plane filled up and no pax is an issue.

I suspect not a LOT of operators are experience this slight performance limitation regarding a topped off plane and no pax.

But then of course, you have to factor in the tanking-penalty. There is no free lunch ;-)

Ultra

Latest resources

Back