• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

G-Shock or Casio Calculator?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ahhhhh! Don't do it! A jumbo pilot watch with GPS, 18 time zones, and 5 dials... is like wearing silvered Ray-Ban aviators, a leather jacket in 100 degree heat, or a nomex flight suit in a C-150.

Get a cheap Timex, or a $15 Casio digital with an alarm. The alarm is actually useful, as opposed to knowing what time it is in Dubai.

Real pilots are too cheap.

Just use the clock on your cell phone.

I used to have a Rolex Sub that was stolen in Madrid last year (the theft was widely reported here and on other aviation websites and discussed ad nausem by Diesel...).

I have since cast off the chains of capitalism and sport a Timex Ironman I got for 29.95 from Walmart. It has a timer and can keep track of multiple splits as I am running.

I feel much better now... ;) TC

P.S.--I used to have a Swiss Army watch but it crapped out--band broke and the sweep hand stuck.

P.P.S.--Why would you need a calculator? If you can't do simple math in your head, you shouldn't be a pilot. Now, if you can find a watch with a spell and grammar checker...

The March of Timex

Maybe you can track a pilot's career by the succession of wristwatches worn.
The USAF issued me a "hack watch", but I soon bought an Accutron at the BX (remember? the one with a tuning fork inside). TDY to Guam yielded a self-winding Seiko, with all the buttons and dials. As an airline S/O, I had one of the new "digital" watches, accurate to the second. When I made F/O, I upgraded to an "Ironman" and simulated jogging. The left seat paid enough to justify a Timex "Messenger" with a built-in pager, for sitting reserve. Retired now, I have a cheap Armitron, with easy-to-read numerals. But come to think of it, why do I need a watch at all? :confused:

Breitling Navitimer, Omega Speedmaster, or Rolex GMT Master. End of story.

Go to the web site for each and re-live some of the golden days of aviation. The Breitling web site is very good. Wearing any of the three for your day-to-day watch is a real joy. Have a $30.00 Timex Ironman for running

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back