• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

G-IV overrun CYQX

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Why do people get such hardons for Gulfstreams? They look like a baby DC-9. Corporate 737 or bigger, now we're talking.

Last edited:
Why do people get such hardons for Gulfstreams? They look like a baby DC-9. Corporate 737 or bigger, now we're talking.
Well, you see, even though they're smaller than the smallest airliner, in the Corporate world Gulfstreams are the biggest, most technologically advanced airplanes in the history of the world. They're only to be flown by a special breed of aviators who's mothers gave birth to them in the cockpit of a Gulfstream using the instrument panel footrest as stirrups. They even came out of the womb wearing the Gulfstream leather jacket. No other airplane in existence is, or will ever be able to fly from one continent to another with such amazing passenger loads and in the non stop fashion of a mighty Gulfstream.

You airline pilots who can't even file your own flightplans will never understand.

Hey, AA73, go back to your airline job you...er, wait, um nevermind. ;)

Basically, it's the 747-400 of the corporate world. It generally pays the most and has the greatest "ramp presence". There are some lowball outfits out there but the pay and bennies are generally the top of the industry.

Plus, once you get on the Gulfstream merry-go-round, you stay there. At least, you stay in the long-range fleets--GLEX, F900 (again, generally where the bucks are).

Relatively speaking, there aren't that many Gulfstream pilots but there are a ton of 737/BBJ/757/767 guys out there so the pay isn't linear with size or weight.

That's the nutshell.

TC

P.S.--Although AeroDork was probably closer to the truth. :laugh:

because airline guys will fly those beautiful corporate 737s for 80K....while Gulfstream and Global guys can usually get 150K without much difficulty.

"Now we're talking."

:);)

Okay, so just where does a corporate 757 pilot earning $250,000.00, plus bonuses, a year stand on the scale of life? :p

because airline guys will fly those beautiful corporate 737s for 80K....while Gulfstream and Global guys can usually get 150K without much difficulty.

"Now we're talking."

:);)

Umm... who in the U/S flies a corporate 737 for 80k???

I'm trying to understand the correlation between size/weight with corporate vs. airline and obviously I don't get it. It seems, as TC said, that Gulfstreams command the best salaries/bennies in the corporate world, yet it is not the largest/heaviest jet out there, not by a long shot. So what gives?

My airline mind conditions me to think that the bigger/heavier the aircraft is, the higher the pay (as it is in the airline world.) So, using that logic, I always thought Gulfstreams were no big deal, that the BBJs and above were the best jobs out there.

Also, I don't think that comparing corporate salaries with airline salaries is valid. Corporations have very small fleets and the $$$ to spend on nice equipment/training... and perhaps there isn't the demand for corporate jobs as there is with airline jobs. Maybe that's why airline pilots are always eager to start out earning next to nothing wages... Do corporate pilots start out that way as well? I remember earning $19K/year flying SIC on a King Air E90 back in '98, sounded pretty comparable to a first year commuter job.

p.s. AeroDork... LOL!

Last edited:
Too many variables to make it finite for you. In the corp world, it is just a job, like the company accountant or lawyer or IT guy. There is a company's own pay structure to deal with, plus internal pay equity issues. Etc, Etc, etc. Heck, at one time I was making 130K flying a King Air. IT IS JUST A JOB TO THEM. They don't see bigger is always more pay. Corp pilot pay is all over the map. Always has been. IT'S NOT LIKE AIRLINES.

Corp pilot pay is all over the map. Always has been. IT'S NOT LIKE AIRLINES.

Boy, if that is not the absolute truth. I know of BBJ pilots making $50,000.00 a year and King Air pilots making over $150,000.00 a year.

and perhaps there isn't the demand for corporate jobs as there is with airline jobs. Maybe that's why airline pilots are always eager to start out earning next to nothing wages...

That could be....

Corporate jobs often are not in demand, they are largely time builders to get to the big iron at the airlines.

Latest resources

Back