Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JetDriver2000

OK guys,
Just getting a huge dose of reality after being on furlough for a year, need to start feeding the family, doing what I love......that is to fly. I'm ready to pay for my own type in a G-IV to try and make myself more attractive/marketable in the corporate arena.
Stats:
4700 + total
1600 PIC
3000+ Multi
1300 turboprop SIC
550 Turboprop PIC
1050 Turbojet SIC(737-800/ DC9-80)
No accidents/ incidents....except maybe the marriage...LOL
....... Got a couple turbo-prop types from the regionals..
Do any of you folks need a G-IV guy as a contract co-captain....or have any leads?.. I sure would appreciate it. I'm especially looking in SNA, LGB, CRQ then VNY, and BUR. I've sent my resume/tried to call most of the usual suspects, with no luck. Walk -ins have not helped either
Thanks for any help,

JD2K

JetDriver2000 said:
I'm ready to pay for my own type in a G-IV to try and make myself more attractive/marketable in the corporate arena.

I don't think that will make you attractive.

JetDriver2000 said:
OK guys,
Just getting a huge dose of reality after being on furlough for a year, need to start feeding the family, doing what I love......that is to fly. I'm ready to pay for my own type in a G-IV to try and make myself more attractive/marketable in the corporate arena.
Stats:
4700 + total
1600 PIC
3000+ Multi
1300 turboprop SIC
550 Turboprop PIC
1050 Turbojet SIC(737-800/ DC9-80)
No accidents/ incidents....except maybe the marriage...LOL
....... Got a couple turbo-prop types from the regionals..
Do any of you folks need a G-IV guy as a contract co-captain....or have any leads?.. I sure would appreciate it. I'm especially looking in SNA, LGB, CRQ then VNY, and BUR. I've sent my resume/tried to call most of the usual suspects, with no luck. Walk -ins have not helped either
Thanks for any help,

JD2K

Oddly enough I'm starting to think like English... :erm:

She's right. Anyone that you'd want to work for probably would not hire you with no time in type to go along with the type-rating. That's the whole point of contract pilots. Experienced operators contracted to fill-in. I for one don't want to pay $500/day (learjet) to turn around and then have to teach. If that's the case, he/she should be paying me..

And for the record, my times are almost identical to yours (except I actually have MORE PIC time and more Jet time) and I can't get any Gulfstream operators call me back without time in type. Seems pretty common among Gulfstream operators.

A guy was on NBAA Airmail with a similar proposition a few months ago and it earned him written lashings for weeks, pretty much guaranteed him no chance of a position with anyone reading it... I wouldn't go around any reputable operators with that offer. It's a good way to get labeled an under-cutter.

Last edited:
JetDriver2000 said:
OK guys,
I'm ready to pay for my own type in a G-IV to try and make myself more attractive/marketable in the corporate arena.
JD2K
save your money. not a good strategy.:)

Look,

I 've never paid for any of my training, since my ATP years ago. It is just that now I am amost one year out of a window seat. It seems that recency is as important as its always been. So I thought it would be helpful to kill two birds ..so to speak by getting/paying for a type. I don't want to do it..I'm just hoping it will help me get a job. And I won't do it unless someone expresses an interest first.
I don't mean to get into a whole pay-for-training argument here.

Thanks,

JD2K

So. Cal. GIV Jobs

I was in a similar position a year ago, except I had 10K hrs, 4 other jet type ratings, and 8.5K PIC with 5K of those in jets. I thought I would have to pay my way through FlightSafety for a GIV rating but others said no. "You're a quality guy and a quality operator will train you ..." They were right ...

Here's a couple of things to think about.

1) Everyone, absolutely everyone who flys Gulfstreams started somewhere and somehow. My experience is less than 5% of them purchased their own G-String rating.

2) Currency/recency of experience is a VERY important factor. Simply getting a rating (where everyone passes ... by the way ... if you don't, you're really fouled up) isn't gonna do it. 16 hrs FP and 16 hrs NFP in a sim is not going to be considered "Recency" of experience. Go out and get a job!

3) That GIV type rating is gonna cost you a lot more than you're thinking ... I bet. If you live in So. Cal. FSI LGB does the GIV but the retail price of that program is upwards of $32,000 and "Skippie" doesn't negotiate much.

Get yourself a job, any job, and move up from there. PM me, telling me more about yourself and I'll do all I can to help.

TransMach

jd2k,
still not a good strategy. a better one would be to find a management company with a varied fleet and work your way up from the bottom. while working you could try to get a job at a better place. it is always easier to find a job when you have a job. buying your g4 rating (approx 30k, i would guess) is a shortcut that most folks would frown on--except those that would take advantage of you.

JetDriver2000 said:
I don't mean to get into a whole pay-for-training argument here.

Thanks,

JD2K

Simple... Then don't do it.. It would be a big waste of money on your part.

Why not get on with Trans-Exec get a couple hundred hours in Gulfstreams and then get a PIC job at Avjet since you meet all the other requirements.

Latest resources

Back