• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

G.I. Bill and Flight Training

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You can start the CFI under part 141 and when you feel ready for the checkride withdraw from the program and take the checkride under part 61. I did that for all of my ratings

Some good gouge over on the APTAP board- If you are already a military IP don't be in such a rush to go out and pay for that CFI. If you can hold out until Sept of this year the FAA might make it worth your wait. They are planning on allowing military IPs to take a competency exam and then issue them the CFI ticket (like they currently do with CMEI or SE Land tickets). Here is a draft of the new rule (61.73):

Sec. 61.73 Military pilots or former military pilots: Special rules.

(g) Flight instructor certificate and ratings. A person who is a U.S. military instructor pilot may apply for and be issued a flight instructor certificate with the appropriate ratings if that person:
(1) Holds a commercial or airline transport pilot certificate with the appropriate aircraft category and class rating, if a class rating is appropriate, for the flight instructor rating sought;
(2) Holds an instrument rating on the pilot certificate that is appropriate to the flight instructor rating sought; and
(3) Presents the following evidentiary documents:
(i) A knowledge test report that shows the person passed a knowledge test on the aeronautical knowledge areas listed under Sec. 61.185(a) that are appropriate to the flight instructor rating;
(ii) An official U.S. Armed Forces record that shows the person is qualified as a military instructor pilot for the flight instructor rating;
(iii) An official U.S. Armed Forces record that shows the person is a military instructor pilot for the flight instructor rating;
(iv) An official U.S. Armed Forces record that shows the person graduated from a U.S. Armed Forces' instructor pilot training school and received an aircraft rating qualification as a military instructor pilot that is appropriate to the flight instructor rating; and
(v) An official U.S. Armed Forces record that shows the person passed an instructor pilot proficiency check in an aircraft as a military instructor pilot in the U.S. Armed Forces that is appropriate to the flight instructor rating.
(h) Evidentiary documents for qualifying for a pilot certificate and rating. The following documents are required in order for a person to be able to apply for a pilot certificate and rating:
(1) An official U.S. Armed Forces record that shows the person is or was a military pilot.
(2) An official U.S. Armed Forces record that shows the person graduated from a U.S. Armed Forces undergraduate pilot training school and received a rating qualification as a military pilot.
(3) An official U.S. Armed Forces record that shows the pilot passed a pilot proficiency check and instrument proficiency check in an aircraft as a military pilot.
(4) If a person is a military pilot of an Armed Force from a foreign contracting State to the Convention on International Civil Aviation and is applying for a pilot certificate and rating, that person must present the following:
(i) An official U.S. Armed Forces record that shows the person is a military pilot in an Armed Force of the United States;
(ii) An official U.S. Armed Forces record that shows the person is assigned as a military pilot with an Armed Force of the United States for purposes other than receiving flight training;
(iii) An official record that shows the person graduated from a military undergraduate pilot training school from an Armed Force from a foreign contracting State to the Convention on International Civil Aviation or from an Armed Force of the United States, and received a qualification as a military pilot; and
(iv) An official U.S. Armed Forces record that shows that the person passed a pilot proficiency check and instrument proficiency check in an aircraft as a military pilot in an Armed Force of the United States.

For the zoomies and rotc scholarship dudes you can still use WIA benefits after you leave the service and are not working yet. WIA is run by each individual states so your mileage may vary but its worth a shot. I know K&S and HP deal with WIA issues so if you have any questions ask them.

Anyone used the GI bill to get a CFI?

Yes. Has to be at a VA approved school. I think has to be Part 141 but not sure. Anyway, the VA has a list that they approve. Took nearly 1 year before they "got around" to approving it. I had to call the VA IG and make a complaint. That was just for approval---after that it went pretty smooth.

anyone have luck using at higher power or somewhere for a type rating? I couldn't find them on the list of approved schools.

I used Aeroservice in MIA for my 737 type rating and the VA gave me 60%, no problem. Just make sure your 1st class medical is up to date.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back