G Gates

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
AutoCars Armed said:
Been flying out of IAD for over a year now. They are the worst I have ever seen.

1. Tug driver tried to drive under plane. ooops gears now bent
2. Tug driver pushes plane through glass wall...ooops again
3. Blue juice guys flood several planes...
4. Tug driver floors in at bends nosegear
5. Plus all the complaints above.

I have to agree, the G gates are a fatality waiting to happen. It is only a matter of time before a pax or rampie walk into a prop or get run over.

not to be confrontational, but what do you expect for 8 bucks and hr?

They really can't fire thoes guys as its hard to find workers at thoes rates and working conditions that can pass the 10yr history check. Thats why they don't fire alot of the guys in PHL. These guys know they can slack off big time and get away with it. In fact if you and I had that job we'd probibly do the same thing (when in Rome....). Not only that if you do manage to get canned its not like you wouldn't be able to score another min wage job and any number of locations w/in a day or so. The way we're going min wage job will be the only ones left. Have you seen the "BIG BOX MART" cartoon on the net?

Although it might not be money anyway as I've seen the once $60,000+/yr U mainline workers with 20+ years on the job in stations such as SYR, ROC, BUF, ALB and BDL provide the same piss poor service.

Last edited:
rjet24 said:
Told ops we were ready to board because no ramp agent had been around, Ops replys that the gate agents said we were already boarded. I told them that no pax were on the plane, ops talks to agents again and comes back that we were already boarded. This went on for 15 min.

Shoulda said "oops, my mistake" and pushed just to make a point. Imagine what the pax would have said when they were told their plane has left without them.

LearLove said:
not to be confrontational, but what do you expect for 8 bucks and hr?

I really enjoyed my time on the ramp (and I'm still there, just no longer with the airlines) but I can't work for $8/hr. The thing with getting fired from an $8/hr airline job is that your next job probably pays better.

smellthejeta said:
I really enjoyed my time on the ramp (and I'm still there, just no longer with the airlines) but I can't work for $8/hr. The thing with getting fired from an $8/hr airline job is that your next job probably pays better.

Yeah I agree, if I had to get a min wage job (wait what am I saying, I have one) I'd work the ramp also rather than walmart or wendy's but the way the hiring situation is, is that they can exploit it and thus you sub par service.

Prop2Jet,

I hear ya, bro! I have seen everything you have described. My favorite is:

Told an older lady on the ramp these words after she was ready to board us sans fuel, release, and rampers. "DO NOT BOARD THIS PLANE UNTIL MY CAPTAIN OR I TELL YOU TO. UNDERSTAND?" She said 'yes' as she looked right at me. Within 90 seconds, 33 people are standing in the blowing snow wondering why the FLIGHT CREW isn't ready. My captain got everyone's name and got the ramp supervisor on board and chewed her out.

I'd schlep over to DCA to purposely avoid IAD if I lived in Northern Va. I'll tell you this, though, Prop2Jet. I'm Manassas-based and the USAir/Z-gates stuff we do out of IAD is MUCH, MUCH smoother than the Ghetto Gates/United side. Where you based??

Snaab

Any you guys there the day when the bus drivers decided to go on strike for about 30 minutes. Talk about some pissed off pax, and crew. The G-gates were about to exploed from over capicity. Hell, I bet the bus drivers make more than most 1st yr pilots working out of the g-gates.

Something has to be done about that freakin place. I'll bet United losses passengers on a daily basis becuase of that place. Thank the sweet lord I'm no longer based there.

PapaGiorgio said:
Any you guys there the day when the bus drivers decided to go on strike for about 30 minutes. Talk about some pissed off pax, and crew. The G-gates were about to exploed from over capicity. Hell, I bet the bus drivers make more than most 1st yr pilots working out of the g-gates.

Something has to be done about that freakin place. I'll bet United losses passengers on a daily basis becuase of that place. Thank the sweet lord I'm no longer based there.

Are you guys trying to tell me that UAX/IAD is worse than the T2 situation at ORD before ACA left? If so, that is pitiful. ORD was so bad, I would tell my friends and family NOT to buy tickets on my own damn airline. (Okay, I know from a revenue stand point it made no difference, but it's the principle.)

LearLove said:
Yeah I agree, if I had to get a min wage job (wait what am I saying, I have one) I'd work the ramp also rather than walmart or wendy's but the way the hiring situation is, is that they can exploit it and thus you sub par service.

What I don't get is how WN pays their rampers $8.75/hr for the first year and people actually work for that kind of money. I refused a job with them at BWI because I couldn't afford to work for them. I got paid more on ACA's ramp. My current FBO job is about the farthest thing from a minimum wage ramp job you'll ever see. If we whipped out W2's, you wouldn't believe what I made without proof. I'm a FIRM believer in that you get what you pay for, and on the corp side, you NEED good employees, and you NEED to pay them. I got four other competing FBO's on the field; it's pretty easy to pack up your $15,000 fuel order and take it to the competition if you're not happy with the service levels.

Actually, starting pay for a ramper where I worked was $6.85/hr... The attitudes of most my fellow employees were hoping they could get fired so they could go on wellfare and make more money.
...Sad

Snaab said:
Prop2Jet,

I hear ya, bro! I have seen everything you have described. My favorite is:

Told an older lady on the ramp these words after she was ready to board us sans fuel, release, and rampers. "DO NOT BOARD THIS PLANE UNTIL MY CAPTAIN OR I TELL YOU TO. UNDERSTAND?" She said 'yes' as she looked right at me. Within 90 seconds, 33 people are standing in the blowing snow wondering why the FLIGHT CREW isn't ready.
Snaab

Dude, sure that wasn't laGarbage?

Latest resources

Back