FYI for ALL ATPS TEST GOUGE SESSIONS

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

theither

Just FYI for those who will be doing the ALL ATPS test gouge session. When I did this for my ATP test about 6 years ago, the actual test was verbatim to the gouge. ie when the answer to the study question was "A", the question was exact and the answer was "A". Well, I just did the ALL ATPS FE written and the questions were exact but the answers were scrambled from what the practice answers were. So, while studying the questions, study the answers also. Not just the answer to this question is "C".

good luck

I think the FAA changed the way the test bank works last year. They're now scrambling the answers, and in the future are going to start changing the questions periodically...

Inconceivable said:
Or you could just learn the material and answer from knowledge--imagine that!

blasphemy!!!

Actually I heard somewhere that the FAA was going to stop publishingthe questions, something about them being concerned that studentweren't learning the actual material. Gee, I wonder how they gotthat impression.

the questions were released because of a freedom of information act request. It's not up to the FAA to suddenly make them not available. It would take an act of congress. Or these days an act of the TSA.. hehe.

Weasil said:
the questions were released because of a freedom of information act request. It's not up to the FAA to suddenly make them not available. It would take an act of congress. Or these days an act of the TSA.. hehe.

I'm not so sure that is true. Like you, I'd always heard that the FAA was required to release the knowledge test questions bank because of successful legal action based on the FOIA. However, according to the FAA, it is not their policy to release their actual questions, rather they release a smaller number of "representative" questions which are not necessarily the actual test questions. The FAA Knowledge Test Guides all contain this statement:

The policy regarding public access to test questions is to continue publishing questions that affect special emphasis areas regarding safety, such as aeronautical decision making, airspace, aircraft performance, operations/airworthiness regulations, weather services and reports, etc. However, we do not publish all test questions. Many questions in the test banks are parallel in content area or format and publishing same types of questions would not help the applicant in determining areas to study. Examples would include questions involving a process or calculation, such as weight and balance or performance questions using the same chart. Our intent in not publishing every question in the airman test bank is to respond to the public demand for proper evaluation of prospective airmen. It is our duty to respond to these issues and provide valid and reliable tests to make certain that qualified applicants meet the FAA airman knowledge testing standards.

Interestingly, the commercially published knowledge test guides (or the ones I've seen) no longer publish the FAA information. If memory serves me correctly, they all used to reprint verbatim the FAA's information from the FAA's knowledge test guides, in addition to adding their own. Perhaps they don't want folks to notice that their test guide doesn't contain the actual FAA test questions?

A look at the FAA's "Airman Knowledge Test Question Bank" for the ATP shows 429 questions, while both the Gleims and the ASA test guides list over 1700 questions. Obviously *something* isn't adding up, so what is it?

Do ASA and Gleims have the current, complete test question banks, but the FAA wants you to think that they don't?

Or, is the FAA telling it like it is, and ASA and Gleims don't want you to know their test questions banks are outdated and may not contain all the questions you get on the actual test?

As for the FOIA, if in fact that was true (as opposed to a legend) how can the FAA decide to not release the test questions when before, they were required by a court decision? I don't know the answer to that one. I do know that the FAA is claiming publicly that no-one but themselves has the current, complete test bank.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back