Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Future plans for the 717 at the new SWA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
One thing that was mentioned that needs to be brought up again, not all flying is going to be hub and spoke. Look for much of the flying to be point to point, especially after the Wright Amend. goes away. Only having the pleasure of seeing ramp 3 and 4 at Atl at the begining and end of the trip will be a HUGE increase in QOL!

Dick

Hope you don't think that SWA managemet fell off the turnip truck yesterday. You really think they want to kill their perceived "culture" by pissing off a majority of the SWA pilots or any other SWA group for that matter? They have plenty of options before they let some arbitrator(s) roll those dice. Start thinking outside the box and the picture may become more clear.

Unless they know a run-around the Bond-McCaskill legislation, I'd say there's little they can do to prevent the inevitable.

Unless they know a run-around the Bond-McCaskill legislation, I'd say there's little they can do to prevent the inevitable.

I completely understand the legislation; it only applies when the TWO groups become ONE. I'd say there is a lot that can be done to prevent the inevitable, but you have to think outside the box in order to see it. I don't know what the final outcome will be, but I do know what the leadership doesn't want to happen. I have a lot of hope that the two groups can come together and make this thing happen.

I completely understand the legislation; it only applies when the TWO groups become ONE. I'd say there is a lot that can be done to prevent the inevitable, but you have to think outside the box in order to see it. I don't know what the final outcome will be, but I do know what the leadership doesn't want to happen. I have a lot of hope that the two groups can come together and make this thing happen.

This is what I call "thinking outside of the box".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhwbxEfy7fg

Last edited:
Frog, as MILPILOT pointed out: there are several ways that that Gary and Co. can affect the outcome BEFORE the SLI even gets started...

I suggest you go back and re-read LUV2FLY's post...here are pertinent sections:

The 717 is cheaper to fly on a per departure basis than a 737, the cost crossover point is around 1100 miles. So I would imagine you will see, after some fence, the 717s moved strategically around our system to take advantage of the lower cost per departure and the seat count.

In regards to SLI, I don't think any one thing: seat, relative sen, DOH, career expectations, career earning, final career seniority...etc. will be the only thing used. It will be a mix of all of these. Which seat you are in the day the deal is done will probably be the same seat you are currently sitting in today, but after the fence agreements expire, the "global" seniority list takes over and you sit in the seat at which your seniority can hold. imo

One thing that was mentioned that needs to be brought up again, not all flying is going to be hub and spoke. Look for much of the flying to be point to point, especially after the Wright Amend. goes away. Only having the pleasure of seeing ramp 3 and 4 at Atl at the begining and end of the trip will be a HUGE increase in QOL!

Dick

Less congestion on ramp 3 and 4 in hotlanta would be to our benefit up in the ramp tower as well. Hope the increased flights in Atlanta(if we go from the current 200 to almost 300) will be spread out more with less cluster F banks(i.e. 8-9pm)

I completely understand the legislation; it only applies when the TWO groups become ONE. I'd say there is a lot that can be done to prevent the inevitable, but you have to think outside the box in order to see it. .

How far are you willing to go ? Do you represent SWAPA ? ....

Perhaps you'll decide that final binding arbitration is not so final ? Or enjoy 1800 pilots payed by Southwest on a B scale ? Research whipsaw.
There are some historical examples either way ....

They will need to redefine "culture", and the book 'Nuts' will have a whole new meaning ;)

Frog, as MILPILOT pointed out: there are several ways that that Gary and Co. can affect the outcome BEFORE the SLI even gets started...

I suggest you go back and re-read LUV2FLY's post...here are pertinent sections:

[/I]

How exactly is Gary going to make this happen if AirTran requests arbitration ?

With respect. Gary doesn't get to decide on fences or seniority lists. Neither do we.

Last edited:

With respect. Gary doesn't get to decide on fences or seniority lists. Neither do we.
Bingo....Just to reiterate "Neither do WE"...Means both SWA and AAI. Get over it folks. It will be relative seniority minus a few percent for the AAI guys the SWA guys will gain a point or two. Sorry it is pretty obvious it will go down this way.

Let's just see how the transition agreements play out...then we can revisit this.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back