Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

hyper

We got "change" alright.
This pertains to the practice some schools are using where they have a couple of freshly-minted AMEL students in the front and the CFI is logging time in the back (often for a pittance).

Stop and look at this situation. Look at the two students in front whose hands you are placing your life in. Is some multi time worth your life?

Aside from my doubts about the legality, when you finally get that job interview you've worked so hard for, how do you think that situation is going to sell when they ask you about your time at a certain school whom they know use this method to sell their programs?

A little common sense, pride and determination to be the best pilot possible go much further than selling out and risking your life for "time".

Right on. Our destiny is in our own hands. Programs like this will go away only when we stop taking part in them. Same with pay-for-training.

What school's are practicing this 'technique' currently?
If this is occurring, then I agree that the instructional time
logged is questionable. However If the instructors are there
to oversee and challenge the students with simulated scenarios
then I would disagree that there is a safety issue. Pilots who have earned a Private or Commercial AMEL have met the FAA
qualifications and are qualified to carry "passengers" which is
exactly what the instructor is in this situation.

Last edited:
If I'm a multi pilot now, and want to split the time with another multi guy (or gal) that's trying to build time, why exactly would I pay to have an instructor sit in the back seat? I mean, I'm just splitting the cost of the plane 50/50 with the other pilot next to me, correct? It's not as though the instructor is picking up part of the tab, or is he/she? Assuming no, I can see why I'd want an MEI sitting next to me if I feel like I'm out of proficiency and want to practice, but if I'm just building time, why pay for the instructor at all - especially if the dude is sitting in back and won't be able to do a d*mned thing if I make a fatal mistake?

I guess I just don't see any reason why a rated multi pilot would want to participate in this program....

Instructing from the back seat sounds like a recipe for disaster, since two new multi pilots would not likely to do as well as an experienced MEI in the event of an emergency. From the back, he could only help them pray.

I would say: "Don't do it."

All I keep thinking when I read posts about instructors riding in the back is COMMON SENSE. I've only got about 1000 dual given, which is nothing compared to some of these other instructors on here, but there isn't enough money in the world to pay me to instruct from the back. I guess I'm just a chicken, but as long as I'm able, I'll claim my rights and responsibilities as PILOT IN COMMAND and ride up front, thank you.

This is all, of course, my opinion, but I hate it that there are instructors out there willing to do this, just like I hate it that there are people out there who are willing to PFT. Right now I'm working three jobs, two of which are to supplement my income while I instruct, so you can imagine how much I'd like to make more money flying.

(This board is for sharing opinions and ideas, so if you don't like what I had to say, let me know, but keep it nice.)

Latest resources

Back