Furloughs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ual727fo

From our VP of Flight Operations: No furloughs for April. Still considering possible furloughs for May with no numbers available. This is great news - they were going to announce the next round for April and manpower planning changed at the last second. Hopefully things will change enough to avoid any May furloughs and we can start calling back our 844 on the street as of March 2.

I hate posting this, but it comes from a very credible source. Word is, since UAL is going head to head with AA this summer they are not planning on furloughing till fall. Again, I hate to even be posting something like this, but it was was verified twice, and again it can change, but those holding there breath for the April furloughs can probably breath another gasp for at least another few weeks. Hopefully this will turn into months, and maybe it will never even happen.

Source also stated that the furlough number has not changed but, been temporarily put on hold due to recent competetive routes that UAL plans on taking on.

From my experience (been furloughed once and almost a second time), is that when furloughs are being delayed and in this case by months it usually means the furloughs are coming to an end. Alot can happen in a few months and the company is probably covering their ass by saying another round of furloughs may be coming. At my previous job, I was 10 from the bottom when furloughs were delayed until the end of our busy season. They never happened.

Not a UAL guy here, but an AA guy who almost got the ax.....

When the company finally gets a look at the furloughs and what the displacement training costs are, they tend to re-evaluate their position.

Any announcement by management that they are "looking at" or "reevaluating" layoffs means that the training dept has called HQ and screamed bloody murder.

HQ then puts a few pointy-headed bean-counters on the task to figure out which costs more money: furloughing 150 more guys, or just retraining who we have and filling up the slop with the 150 guys. Guess which is cheaper.

Instead of the free-for-all restructuring you saw after 9/11, you might actually see restructuring that makes sense!

Good luck to all!

Latest resources

Back