Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
my post about furloghees going regional

Hey you guy's,

Pappy I'm really really glad that you got that Allegheny job. I don't have near the hours that you have and you should have that job. No I'm not upset that I have not been called yet, my interview went extremely well, and I couldn't of done any better preparing for it. I was just taken a back by some of the behaviour that I and a few other fellows witnessed in that exam room. I mean just be grateful that we were called and given the opportunity to sell our flying skills. I know that some carriers are going to call back sooner than others, and USAirways may not for a few years. I have a few good friends with USAir that are also looking for jobs, and I have pointed Allegheny, and Piedmont their way. It's a frustrating time for all of us, since we thought that prior to 9/11 the hiring would continue and we would all be happily flying and building our future foundations. By the way, I did not realize that some of the fractionals would require a termination of seniority. Anyway, I think it's important to keep up a good dialog about every issue, and look at the overall big picture.

Good luck to all, and happy flying!

avi8tr-

What you witnessed during your ALG is a requirement for any aspiring airline pilot. You have to be good at whining and complaining. No matter how good things are, there's always something to complain about. They teach you this during basic indoc.

Seriously, sorry that you came away from the interview with a bad taste in your mouth. The disgruntled furloughees should have been happy that they were given the chance to obtain a flying job. If they weren't serious about working for ALG, then they shouldn't have been there. Good luck and practice that whining, you'll have to use it someday.

pappy;)

Hi Avi8tr,

I just noticed your post where you stated ...

" By the way, I did not realize that some of the fractionals would require a termination of seniority. "

As much as I don't like it, certain fractionals are requiring the furloughees to resign their numbers. The only comment I wanted to make is this, while I don't like it, I do understand why. From a business perspective, they spend a serious amount of money to train their pilots. While training at the FSI facility in Wichita, I heard the FSI rep say that our Citation X course was approximately 28K for the full service package. I'm not sure what is included in that, but I do know that lesser options were 20k plus (per person).

I guess my point is this ... even though quantity is discounted, these business jet programs ARE very expensive. The company has to be assured that a pilot will stay, at least 1 year, in order to recover the investment.

Best wishes to all those on furlough :)

Xjet

Hey Xjet,

Then why not just create a training contract (please let's not start a training contract fight..lol ) for the training costs for furloughees that don't want to give up their seniority numbers.

Fly safe
Humble

Furloughees going to regionals

Hi Again,

I want to thank all who have responded to my thread regarding furloughees going back to regionals without termination of seniority number.

First off, let me just say that I think it is a difficult situation no matter where you are sitting. For those that are on furlough, it is tough to have to start all over again in a way. Especially if you are given the request to give up the "number". But on the other hand I agree that training someone to get current on a new a/c is very cost prohibitive, and in this new economic climate I understand why the airlines(regional/fractionals) are playing hardball. I guess it is really up to the indivudual circumstance that one has to make their own decision based upon current needs, etc...

But speaking for myself, I got the preverbial letter today, stating that I did not the get the ALG job, because of other more qualified applicants. Even though I had an almost perfect interview (at least I thought it was) experience.

But I don't have sour grapes about it, after 9/11 everything really did change, and wer'e right back to the early nineties where almost no one was hiring, and everyone was applying. I'm just going to keep applying and never give up, because it is a personal milestone for me.

Anyway, thanks for the correspondence, and for those that got hired, good luck and fly safe.

Your friend,

av8ter

Hey Av....sorry to hear about the letter...but my advice to you is to take every interview as a learning experience..so when the big one comes..you won't be nervous..and it will be a walk in the park...this is a hard time in the buisness like you said..its just a matter of time....the way mainline is downsizing...every commuter will be hiring shortly..just be patient.

god luck

potato

Piedmont, Allegheny and PSA are the three wholly-owned USAirways regionals. They also contract with Chataqua, Mesa, and a few others. I used to work for one, but I think Mesa bought most of them.

I'm wondering why some regional pilots want furloughees to give up their major number. I can understand why they want them to start at the bottom, because that effects them, but why do they care about whether they go back to Delta or not? Just a curious question, I'm not trying to start anything, honest.

skydiverdriver said:
I'm wondering why some regional pilots want furloughees to give up their major number. I can understand why they want them to start at the bottom, because that effects them, but why do they care about whether they go back to Delta or not? Just a curious question, I'm not trying to start anything, honest.

Yipee! I was waiting for a regional pilot to ask the same question, I have been wondering about for a while. Why do some regional pilots care about the seniority number issue if the pilots go in at the bottom and are treated like any other new hire? The answers I've gotten thus far have been a rehash of management's reasons for wanting resignations, which most of us understand, but I don't know why the line pilots would care about managements reasons. When I was at a regional, we had pilots come over from other airlines, some were even furloughees who had retained their numbers, but they came in at the bottom and the whole thing didn't bother me one bit. Oh well, I think this issue will be moot one way or another in about 3-5 months.

Furloughees going to regionals

This is a reply to Marko and others,

The big reason that SOME regionals want a termination of seniority from the furloughed carrier is uncertainty. The few carriers that are hiring are still affected by the national slowdown in air travel. This of course affects their bottom line, and naturally some of this money goes to training. Since we all know how much money it costs to get a new pilot up to speed, they want a return on that investment by having those pilots stay awhile. Prior to 9/11 no one really cared, because there was a supposed pilot shortage, or to some other degree more of a market. Look at what happened to Executive Jet, they supposedly trained a bunch of Comair pilots who got expensive jet training only to have them perform an exodus when recalled. Some carriers like Colgan, make you sign a two year training contract and are very adamant about making sure you abide. Do I agree with this policy? I don't know. Like I said before, it would depend on one's own personal situation. As for me, I'm still fortunate that I am still employed with an airline (non flying)and can be in on the latest rumor's. As for flying, I'm pounding out those resumes, and flying traffic reports.

Good luck,

Av8ter

Latest resources

Back