Furloughees gettin a 737 type via WIA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flyn96

Hey quick question for a soon to be furloughed Mesaba pilot (yea I know every other regional is growing so why isn't Mesaba)anyway, I want to take advantage of being unemployed and use the WIA to get my 737 type. Just wondering if anyone else has done this? If so with who FTI or HPA??? and what was your experience like??? Any help would be great to get the ball rolling!

Thanks All

I used WIA about a year ago to attend HPA's course. HPA has an excellent program. K&S have also received good marks. WIA funds may be difficult to get as some states are refusing to fund type ratings due to a weak pilot hiring outlook, and some WIA funds are exhausted. Additionally SWA recently dropped the 73 type requirement to apply/interview.

Good luck,

I went to HPA Dec 2001 thru Jan 2002 (Happy New Year).

Great People, Great Place. If the state will not allow you to get a 737 type try for a biz jet. You may need an employeer to commit to a job after getting the type. Good leverage for the employeer to hire you over the other guy and even Part Time should work. Maybe the State does not need to know that.

If you live in one state and work in another you can apply to both states (only allowed to use one though) and take the best for you. At least when I went through that is how it worked.

Good luck. It is not as bad as I had expected, great amount of time home with the family. There are jobs out there. My buddy just hired on part time flying a citation 8 days / month for $40,000.

O.K., Call me stupid, but what is "HPA" and "WIA". I too am out of work and would like more details, I have never done this and would like more info on the whole deal, like where to apply and where to get the training

Thanks

HPA - Higher Power Aviation. A B737 training center (part 142) based in Dallas.

WIA - Workforce Investment Act. Federally funded program to assist displaced workers learn new skills and employment.

WIA funds were available to pilots furloughed as a direct result of 9/11. Each state administered their own program, therefore some states' benefits were higher than others. Illinois granted $6,000 toward a type rating. I believe Pennsylvania was $8,000. Florida $3-4,000, etc.

This year funding has been difficult to obtain, since pilot hiring is still slow. If you were furloughed from a 121 carrier that is on a state's covered list you may still be able a get some funding. Check with your unemployment office.

KigAir said:
SouthWest requires a 4 year degree. Is this the norm in the industry?

Actually, if you read SWA's requirements, it says 4-year degree from an accredited university preferred.

This is the norm in the industry, and with competition for jobs as keen as it is today, a 4-year degree is virtually a must to be competitive.

I have been working to get WIA funds to get a 737 type. From my experience and in talking to others that have gone through the process, the key is selling the idea to your employment counselor. My counselor was hesitant at first because of sluggish airline hiring and that it seemed that it would only help me get on with SWA.

Also some states have already used up all of there WIA funds for the year. I don't know if JAN1 they get more?

In addition, some venders are not approved in some states. I originally planed to attend FSI, (Shari is awsome to work with), but they are not approved yet in my state.

PM me if you hav specific Q's I'll be glad to help!

EMU

I got funding through the WIA & administered through the State of NV back in Jan 2003.
Yes, the counselor is important in the process & after thinking which aircraft I wanted to do it on, chose the 737 because I have VG hours on several models plus have it on two other ICAO licenses.
I did the course with PremAir @ their facility in MCO, trained on the 737-800 and did a PIC Initial Type Rating all in 15 straiight days and got current plus all the fancy certificates. Cost to the taxpayer: $13,495. Did it do me any good? Nope, still looking for a job - any job. Got a nice ATP now with three different Boeing types and no longer current on anything. It must be worst than I thought out there! Still, someone else paid for my type, so @ least I did not lose the investment also. Losing your job for the umpteenth time through no fault of your own and then not even get your foot in the door having gotten another (supposedly) VG type rating really sucks....

PremAir instructors were fine but I would NOT recommend the company - the others are far better and provide all kinds of extras that PremAir does not. Basically, they take yr money and run, no placement assistance or refreshers of any kind. Much better to stick with either K & S or HPA. Take it from someone who knows!!

Good luck in finding the funding - it's prob much harder now than a year ago. Alternatively, I'll sell you mine for half price!!!

Latest resources

Back