• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Furloughed: What do you miss?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Long legs in the CRJ200, first thing in the AM. No AC. As we go through 10,000ft, I stand up, stretch, grab the paper and make my way to the back of the airplane. In there I would work out last nights Subway, mixed in with the Dairy Queen, Whataburger, 5 Guys and airline peanuts that I have had over the last 5 days.
Then forget to flush.
Ah, the good ole days.

not having to actually work every hour of a 13 hour day like i do now flight instructing. At least I had time to work on my school work for my master's in between flights. But at least I make twice as much flying a 172 right now than i did my first year at the regionals. is it just me, or is there something seriously wrong with my last sentence??? i think yes.

I miss it when crew scheduling would call me 3-4 times in the middle of the night, during an 8hr reduced rest. When I check my voicemail, they were just trying to notify me of my new show time, which I was already aware of.
I also miss when scheduling would make up their own FAR's on flight/duty/rest especially while on reserve. I will never forget the time I was on reserve and this new scheduler called me and told me I had another trip on my schedule, even thought I was at 7:50 for the day. I played along and asked her how many hours of flying this new trip would be. She said "You're projected for 13:15" ....I wanted to be mean to her and accept it, but I had to inform her that because she was new, she was confusing Flight Time and Duty Time. She apologized and then told me she couldn't release me off ready reserve in case they might need an airplane to be taxied.

about to miss my house :bawling:

Sorry to hear that. I hope it doesn't happen.

This is yet another reason why you need to marry someone with money. Don't marry a teacher or a flight attendent. No joke. You need dual incomes in this business because furloughs are just a recession away... There are plenty of semi-good looking doctors and lawyers out there who want your attention (and they bring some cash with them). Look at the Bachelor - women love pilots... Just think about it... Aviation can then become more of a hobby for you.

It sucks to hear so many people are bitter. I got a "good" government job working 7:00-3:30 and I can't wait for the day ASA calls me back. I miss the airline world. I'll sell my house and move back to ATL when the time comes. I miss everything about it!

I miss it when crew scheduling would call me 3-4 times in the middle of the night, during an 8hr reduced rest. When I check my voicemail, they were just trying to notify me of my new show time, which I was already aware of.
I also miss when scheduling would make up their own FAR's on flight/duty/rest especially while on reserve. I will never forget the time I was on reserve and this new scheduler called me and told me I had another trip on my schedule, even thought I was at 7:50 for the day. I played along and asked her how many hours of flying this new trip would be. She said "You're projected for 13:15" ....I wanted to be mean to her and accept it, but I had to inform her that because she was new, she was confusing Flight Time and Duty Time. She apologized and then told me she couldn't release me off ready reserve in case they might need an airplane to be taxied.

TransStates. Except for the apology. Shaniquatonda never apologizes.

It sucks to hear so many people are bitter. I got a "good" government job working 7:00-3:30 and I can't wait for the day ASA calls me back. I miss the airline world. I'll sell my house and move back to ATL when the time comes. I miss everything about it!

Have fun making $20,000 a year and giving up a job that you can support a family with. You obviously haven't been in it long enough to know what you are really missing.

Latest resources

Back