• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Furloughed flexer's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Oh, and don't try the debt consolidation people - rip off artists who keep the first payments you make, send nothing to the credit cards, and you keep getting the nasty phone calls.

Debt consolidation = no good. A REPUTABLE credit counseling service (usually faith-based) = good. It's been almost 20 years, but working with CCCS allowed us to avoid bankruptcy. With the IRS you're on your own, but they allowed me to negotiate a low payment. Just don't miss a one, or else they come after everything - immediately. Don't ask me how I know. With CCCS and some increase in our household income, our recovery from the financial mess we were in took about 4 years. Although the tax liens and other "bad credit" stuff remained on our credit reports for 7 years, the creditors were lining up to give us crazy credit limits in that short of time. Trust me, we've never gone back there.

The best advice here is from DUATS. Start by reading everything Dave Ramsey has before you do anything.

Has any of the ACP's or CP called you guys with an update or to see how your doing? If your really in need of money, I recommend the sperm bank. $50 per donation. When I was laid off a few years back, the extra $10,000 I made really helped me out. Keep your heads up guys.

Has any of the ACP's or CP called you guys with an update or to see how your doing? If your really in need of money, I recommend the sperm bank. $50 per donation. When I was laid off a few years back, the extra $10,000 I made really helped me out. Keep your heads up guys.

I'm going to be a millionaire then.

I'm doing as much military as I can. Currently doing a few months out east...way east. Wife and kid not thrilled, but good pay, all tax free.

Has any of the ACP's or CP called you guys with an update or to see how your doing?

No. A lot of the line pilots care enough to keep in touch though, which is really nice and always appreciated. Nothing from management, but I think it would be a nice gesture if they'd at least give us an official update once a month or so. Doesn't even have to be in depth, just something besides internet rumors and speculation. I won't be holding my breath.

Last edited:
Most depressing thread ever. Sorry guys. I sure hope it works out for all fellow pilots.

The FAA has received funding to hire 1000 aviation safety inspectors this year. There is an open job posting for this position that closes on Sept 30th.

Apply here:

https://jobs01.faa.gov/asap/default.ASP?WCI=p_Banner&WCE=ceAgree

I am seriously considering it as an alternative if I get furloughed this summer at NJ. Some of the requirements are 1500 total time, commercial or ATP, and 2nd class medical. It pays somewhere (depending on your equivalent experience and qualifications) between 41k and 77k. And of course it comes with government benefits.

My old boss and friend did this two years ago after closing his 135 business and seems to be liking it. He went to two months of training in OK City. A month of inspector training and a month of accident investigation training. They gave him a month off in between. He also just recently went to King Air initial at FSI to start doing some flight check work. (flying approaches to inspect ILS/LOC/VOR equipment integrity) They also pay for a certain amount of hours in small planes a year to keep you current.

Kind of like going to the dark side but not a bad alternative for a furloughed pilot looking for some stability.

I think its a great job. I retired from there about 10 years ago and loved it. Although doing 135 rides in a learjet was ok, you can find yourself doing CFI rides in a 172.

Latest resources

Back