Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Furlouged pilot - Looking at going elsewhere (Compass/Mesaba)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FWIW

4000 TT
2200 ME
1900 Jet
1800 CRJ 121
ATP license
B767 type rating
Got the thanks but no thanks.

I just think they must be overwhelmed with applicants right now

I just got the no thanks email this morning. I dunno what they want. 4900tt, 1800pic turbine, 3 type ratings (one of which was a CL-65 sic). So I guess higher timers aren't what they're looking for.

Thanks for the replies. I was offered an instructor job for recurrent at my current airline. 6 month contract. I now have that to debate with. Keep me in the company, then in 6 months can either renew, go back to the line, or look at another airline. It gives me a 70% pay increase too during these tough times.

My opinion?

You have the time, you have recall rights at RAH . . why not go international and make a boatload of money for a few years? Contract flying can be quite lucrative and you have a job that you can come back to some day in the States if that's what you still want.

If you're the least bit interested, get your stuff out NOW. These things take time, and 6 months from your furlough date you start getting a lot less marketable.

Good luck.

My opinion?

You have the time, you have recall rights at RAH . . why not go international and make a boatload of money for a few years? Contract flying can be quite lucrative and you have a job that you can come back to some day in the States if that's what you still want.

If you're the least bit interested, get your stuff out NOW. These things take time, and 6 months from your furlough date you start getting a lot less marketable.

Good luck.

There aren't a whole lot of EMB-145 jobs out there, especially if you don't have an ATP. Though if you have different intel I'd love to hear it...

There aren't a whole lot of EMB-145 jobs out there, especially if you don't have an ATP. Though if you have different intel I'd love to hear it...

Why limit yourself to E-145 jobs? I'm guessing your jet PIC time is low, but don't sell yourself short. You might consider picking up an ATP in a quickie course, but otherwise, you're plenty qualified.

If you're single and willing to work outside the US, you have enormous potential to make some serious scratch with contracted flying. You'll also make yourself much more marketable in the US when you decide to return.

For example (one I found at random in 5 minutes):

http://www.parcaviation.aero/aviation/FlightcrewJobsDetail.asp?id=7666

B767 FO gig. You don't need a type rating, they'll provide one if hired, and you certainly meet the minimums. Why not send your stuff in and see what happens?

I can tell you this: once you get the interview, you're pretty much on equal footing with everyone else who shows up that day. At the interview, how you present yourself is what matters, not a few numbers and letters on your logbook and ticket.

Believe me, flying and interviewing are two totally different skills . . . most pilots assume the former will guarantee good results in the latter. Nothing could be further from the truth.

There's plenty of jobs out there for those willing to travel, but no one is going to hand them to you on a platter. Cast a wide net, and see what you can reel in. You might be pleasantly surprised.

(BTW -- Climb to FL 350 is a great site for all kinds of flying gigs. Send your stuff out to any)

For those of you who care, Avantair does interview without an internal rec, but going to a job fair (like AirInc) will increase your odds significantly. Their class dates are filled for this year.

Latest resources

Back