Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Funny SW did just call for interview, now what?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jwes

Just got off the phone for an interview for mid April, should I do the prep? or just wing it. I know this is a break or make career move and I don't want to blow this. I'm a pretty personal guy, but with all the stress I'm all thumbs.

Do you prep before getting into a sim for a checkride or do you "just wing it"? Come on this is a no brainer. Get as much prep as you can, so that you can feel comfortable.

DrewBlows said:
Do you prep before getting into a sim for a checkride or do you "just wing it"? Come on this is a no brainer. Get as much prep as you can, so that you can feel comfortable.
I just talked to a chief pilot last week about this issue. Interviewers are seeing some well prepped pilots. When this happens they do a change up on the interview.

jwes said:
Just got off the phone for an interview for mid April, should I do the prep? or just wing it. I know this is a break or make career move and I don't want to blow this. I'm a pretty personal guy, but with all the stress I'm all thumbs.

They called on a Saturday? Are you sure this is not a prank from a friend. As far as the interview goes, remember this, they are not looking at you as a pilot, they know you can fly. What they are looking for is a story teller. "Tell me a time when you had an emergency?". "Tell me a time that you had a problem with a co-worker?". Its all how you tell the story. The best practice is start reading books to your kids, then start making up stories. As you gain confidence, go to bars and start talking to total strangers and telling them made up stories about anything. The subject matter is not important. You are learning to be a story teller for 1 hour of your life. This skill will determine if you go to newhire class, or back to recurrent class.
Good luck.

I have a friend that was called early this morning as well. It wasn't a prank.

TR4A said:
I just talked to a chief pilot last week about this issue. Interviewers are seeing some well prepped pilots. When this happens they do a change up on the interview.[/quote]

What do you want.... an unprepared person?? Sounds like the interviewers are the ones with the issues!:laugh:

jwes said:

They just called me too. At about 1830 on a saturday and I'm going through the same thing. Interview prep or not. Interview on the 19th. When's yours?

Prep in any form (paid or unpaid) is critical. Someone said they will "change up the questions." Even if this is true, if you are properly prepped, you should be able to tell a story to fit the situation.

Whether you prep with a professional or with a spouse / family member, just remember you are telling stories about your experiences. Look at your answers critically - as if you were the person on the other side of the desk. Do not tell stories to shock or that have horrible endings unless you can get something positive out of them.

Also, look at the values of SWA and see how your stories fit those values. SWA has a copyrighted system that is based on 12 Core Competencies. Some of those include leadership, teamwork and customer service. Some of the questions they ask have several core competencies mixed into the same question. When looking at questions on the gouge, try to figure out what they are REALLY asking in those questions.

Behavioral interviewing, which is exactly what the "tell me about a time questions" are, is based upon the premise that past performance indicates future performance. They want to know if you can think on your feet, use good judgment and be someone that other pilots would enjoy flying with on a three-day trip.

One more thing - do not prep the night before. I have had a few clients take this approach, and it has not been beneficial for them. You will not have time to formulate solid answers. I would say to start at least 5-6 days before your interview.

Good luck to all of you! :)

Last edited:
Uppercrust said:
TR4A said:
I just talked to a chief pilot last week about this issue. Interviewers are seeing some well prepped pilots. When this happens they do a change up on the interview.[/quote]

What do you want.... an unprepared person?? Sounds like the interviewers are the ones with the issues!:laugh:

No, we want people prepared, but we don't want them coached. There is a big difference. People who have been coached stick out like a sore thumb and may or may not represent what it is we are looking for. They may indeed be a perfect fit, but they come across very "canned", and yes it is very obvious. It's no seceret how our interview goes or that we have the paper sim ride. So the bottom line is prepare, if you want to pay for help that is your business, but I would guess the majority of individuals I know that have been hired didn't (we don't have the exact numbers). Either way good luck.

OffHot said:
Uppercrust said:
No, we want people prepared, but we don't want them coached. There is a big difference. People who have been coached stick out like a sore thumb and may or may not represent what it is we are looking for. They may indeed be a perfect fit, but they come across very "canned", and yes it is very obvious. It's no seceret how our interview goes or that we have the paper sim ride. So the bottom line is prepare, if you want to pay for help that is your business, but I would guess the majority of individuals I know that have been hired didn't (we don't have the exact numbers). Either way good luck.

OffHot - if what you say is true, that a majority of the people that get prepped are not hired, then I have to wonder who they are prepping with. I have a great success rate, as does AlbieF15 and Judy Tarver.

I also have to wonder who is prepping them to have canned answers. This statement about canned answers always makes me scratch my head and wonder what these people are saying that sounds canned. I do not teach people to have "perfect" answers; I teach them to tell their story in a logical, succinct manner.

Do you conduct interviews with SWA? If so, can you give an example of a canned answer for me? Sorry, I am just confused by this statement! :)

Latest resources

Back