Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Funny SW did just call for interview, now what?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SWA/FO said:
They took your $hit? Tested it for what?

They didnt take it, you brought it with you. When they set up the interview, they would send you a packet of papers and a "stool sample kit". You would get a sample of your stool with the "provided" spoon. Put in the cup, like a urine sample cup, thenbring it to the interview. Could you imagine getting that thru security now days. They had the toughest medical going. "Has anyone in your family tree had diabetes?" "Has anyone in your family tree had ( insert any bizarre disease)?".

I never had the interview, but a good friend did. I gave him so much sh** about his sh**.

CaptainMark said:
not me..i was in high school..i think it was in the late 80's...i just heard about it...
I almost forgot about that. Interviewed there in 1989. You had to mail it back to them.

once you get the interview the job is yours to lose

You can say the same thing about any job, anywhere. Unless people (like Capt. Megadeath) think companies routinely interview large groups of people just to go through the motions and appear to want them. Wasting everyones time. If you meet the hiring requirements - you're in the game.

We call it the Capt. Megadeath Southwest Interview Facade Theory or SIFT.
This theory goes on to explain that Southwest Airlines really has no need for pilots and routinely publishes hiring numbers that are bogus. Only staffing "interview teams" (which the SWA/FO is a proud member of) in an effort to throw people off. Giving applicants positive space (which is more then I got from Fed Ex) tickets for their journey to Dallas... only to laugh at them when they leave 'cus we spent money talking to them all day, wasted everyones time and we never wanted to hire them in the first place! HA HA HA suckers!!!

SWA/FO said:
You can say the same thing about any job, anywhere. Unless people (like Capt. Megadeath) think companies routinely interview large groups of people just to go through the motions and appear to want them. Wasting everyones time. If you meet the hiring requirements - you're in the game.

We call it the Capt. Megadeath Southwest Interview Facade Theory or SIFT.
This theory goes on to explain that Southwest Airlines really has no need for pilots and routinely publishes hiring numbers that are bogus. Only staffing "interview teams" (which the SWA/FO is a proud member of) in an effort to throw people off. Giving applicants positive space (which is more then I got from Fed Ex) tickets for their journey to Dallas... only to laugh at them when they leave 'cus we spent money talking to them all day, wasted everyones time and we never wanted to hire them in the first place! HA HA HA suckers!!!
Conventional wisdom is if you meet all of the mins and get your type, you will be given an interview @SWA. Everyone knows this, keeps Higher Power's sim running 24/7, and lines everyones pockets. Then, you go to your SWA interview and have a 1 in 10 shot for 8 grand! What a racket!

Last edited:
threegreen said:
And the copywrited 12 core values you need to be a member of the 'family'... Don't get me wrong - I'm a great employee and will do whatever I can to get the job done with a smile on my face, but this is business and we airplane drivers are standardized commodities. From the pilot's perspective, the 'family culture' only goes so far as the dependability of the paycheck we earn and our senority numbers.

I have to make some observations regarding the comments from ThreeGreen. Given the last statement about "the dependability of the paycheck we earn and our seniority numbers," I would say that he/she probably will not fit into the SWA culture.

That is not meant to be a slam; it is actually a good lesson for people to learn about what airline is a good fit for them.

I believe the reason why the pass ratio from interview to hire is running at about 20-25% with SWA, as well as other carriers, is because people are not being selective about their target airline(s). Let me try to explain "why" I think this is happening.

My observations, which follow, are based upon the fact that I have been producing resumes and conducting airline interview prep for almost two decades. I have seen the ups and downs of this business and the players change positions from the top airline to the bankrupt airline. I have also seen people trying to "fit" into a company to which they are not suited.

I believe that some people are applying with certain companies, whether it be SWA, JetBlue, FDX or UPS, because that is where the cash is being produced at the present time. The same thing can be said for the mid-to-late 90's hiring frenzy at AA, UAL, and DL. Individuals tried their best to fit into the "mold" of the airline that was hiring without success. However, these airlines each had their own specific type of person they were interviewing/hiring. If you did not fit their "criteria," you did not even get an interview - much less hired. The same is true today, in my opinion.

With that said, I realize that people want to advance in their career and be hired with a great airline. However, if you look at the companies that are currently hiring, they each have a different culture. It is important to do a thorough self-assessment and figure out where you really fit in - not try to fit a "square peg in a round hole."

So, how do you figure out where you fit in? Do research and talk to employees of that airline. Then do a self-assessment of your own values, being honest about the type of person you are in an employment situation. For instance, if you do not like night flying, do not apply with FDX or UPS, as this is the main crux of their flight schedule. On the contrary, if you do not like dealing with passengers or babysitting crew members, then FDX or UPS might be a great fit for you.

Then, start your networking. Find old students, pilots you worked with at a previous airline / job, or pilots you flew with in the military and make contact with them. The first thing you discuss should not be that you want a recommendation. You need to reconnect with these people and start redeveloping a relationship with them. Once you reconnect over a period of time then it is time to ask for the recommendation.

Let me provide an additional observation. One of the reasons I believe that SWA has been so successful over the years is due to the individuals that they hire. SWA has a very strategic method by which they interview and hire individuals. It is the same process in every department (with the exception of the LOI), and they "test" for the same core competencies. It is a formula that has worked well for them over the years, and that is why they stick to it.

But here is the lesson that should be learned as a pilot from the SWA hiring process. They are very specific about the type of person they want to hire. They have conducted their own "self-assessment," have identified what makes their culture unique, and have spent the time preparing the questions they ask to hone-in on these types of people. As a pilot, you should be conducting the same self-assessment and targeting the airline for whom you would be the best fit.

Just my thoughts on the subject! :)

Last time I checked, they might have stopped the "major airline draft" or at least moved it to a different channel (from ESPN) its the same weekend of the NFL Draft (and that gets way more viewers.). I was a late 6th rounder, kinda like Tom Brady....back in the day of the great drafts.

So with that in mind (the major airline draft) and not playing a huge factor in landing a job.. you have to ask yourself, "do I want to find a new job?" or "I'm happy where I am at". If you want to be in the game - do what it takes to be in the game. Life is full of choices & chances. Hats off to the guys/girls that take chances.

Or you can just continue swimming in the purple pool, why beeetch about "someone elses" problem.

Latest resources

Back